Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
My top favourite Miles album is the recording of the complete live concert at Lincoln Center NY, February 12, 1964, originally issued on two strange separate albums (one for the ballads and one for the uptempo): Four & More and My Funny Valentine.

Fortunately, the album was issued in 1992 as:
View attachment 121601

This is the most energetic jazz quintet imaginable, with Tony Williams as the force of nature, who constantly changes tempi to push everyone upto the limit...and beyond.

In Miles Autobiography, he writes that there was a fight within the band over payment or whatever that day, which they are clearly fighting out during the concert.

Anyhow, from all Miles albums, this one I like best.
Relatively recent purchase of mine. One of the on-line audiophile stores had the MFSL masterings of each album on sale for $15 (IIRC). I'm not a big believer in audiophile live albums, but I figured why not. While I started with the first quintet, I've now grown to prefer the second quintet overall, and these include 80% of them.

MFSL has recently released remastered versions of "Miles Smiles" and "Porgy and Bess." Even though I have both albums (including the early Sony SACD of "Miles Smiles"), they are on my wish list.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
FYI - Tidal will sell you the complete "Live from the Plugged Nickel" set as a download. $37 for MP3; $67 for FLAC. I'm pretty sure you don't need to be a suscriber. I've streamed it, but haven't pulled the plug (pun intended) on a purchase.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts