Classical Music Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
21,391 Posts
Sketches of Spain is the MD album I enjoy most. Kind of Blue is more brilliant, and it is the album that revealed revealed to me what "genius" in music means, and it would be second.

I have 16 more of his albums, including several mentioned here but I haven't listened very much to most of them and I couldn't be confident picking a third favorite. If you forced me, it'd be between On the Corner, Bitches Brew, and Birth of the Cool. In one order or another those would be my top five, I think. That's what I think I think. In a Silent Way and My Funny Valentine would probably be six and seven.

Just in case my selection of On the Corner didn't alienate me, I might select Get Up With It as my eighth favorite.

And then - emphasizing that I don't really know that these would be my choices - I guess I'd round out my top ten with Milestones and Agharta.

Or maybe Porgy and Bess, Someday My Prince Will Come, and Nefertiti.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I just recently realized that, in all my CDs, I have Miles Davis' Kind of Blue. I just started to listen to it and I have found it to be as wonderful as many have before me. But I also have found that the recording is a bit lacking and, in some spots, there is an annoying buzz or distortion.

I know that there are some remastered copies of this great CD. Does anyone know if any of the remastered copies have corrected this flaw in the recording?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Kind of Blue was the first CD I bought for my first CD player. Like a lot of Macero's productions, it's been cut apart and spliced together from studio jam sessions, and some of the joints are rough. All that talk about "modal jazz" is just recognizing that improvisation is a bigger part of the process...

A lot of early Miles CDs were badly engineered. Bitches Brew had entire tracks dropped out. The later remasters have generally been much better across the entire Columbia catalog IMO so updating is probably a good idea.

I'm a sax player, but I was never a big fan of BotC or Jerry Mulligan either, except with Chet Baker. Maybe I'm not old enough. For me, the Prestige sessions with his first Quintet, the Columbia sessions with the second quintet, Bitches Brew, and most of the electric live dates up to his injury in the 70s are essential. Big Fun includes Indian instruments, and Live at the Philharmonic contains just one of many versions of "Ife" and may be the best...

Also a few others like the All-Star and Monk dates for Prestige... for a semi-electrified revisit to the mood of Kind of Blue, on the way to Bitches Brew, try In a Silent Way... Jack Johnson is almost a McLaughlin album with Miles as a guest partner...

PS. a hidden Miles album would be Sarah Vaughan in Hi-Fi...

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
I wouldn't say I'm a completist with Miles (I likely have miles to go before I compile all his albums), but I do have a couple hundred, and my collection includes such things as "The Complete Columbia Album Collection" (70 CDs), "The Genius Of Miles Davis" (43 CDs in a trumpet case), United Archives "Live Recordings 1948-1957" (13 CDs) and "On The Air 1958-1959" (2 CDS), the Intense Media box set "Out Of The Blue" (10 CDs) and the Le Chant Du Monde box set "Waiting For Trane" (9 CDs), as well as dozens of vinyl and dozens more CDs, including "Doo-Bop"! I enjoy cookin', steamin', and relaxin' with Miles, and I do so quite often; hardly a week can go by that I didn't spin something by Miles. (Just yesterday I took on the Jazz Images 180 gram vinyl release of "Birth of the Cool"). Though I probably favor the late '50s / early 60's era recordings ("Kind of Blue" still rules!), I often find myself exploring his earliest work as often as I find myself listing to electric Miles.

One strong positive about Miles is that his output is so varied one can usually find something to fit any mood, and for those of us who are very moody, having handy a handy collection of Miles Davis selections is good therapy.

I remain a staunch fan of "Kind of Blue", "Tutu", "Bags Groove", "In a Silent Way" and "Dark Magus" (to name a handful) and am especially fond of listening to the "live" recorded-in-concert albums (such as "Live At Montreux", "At The Fillmore (Miles Davis 1970: The Bootleg Series Vol. 3)" and (on two colored vinyl LPs, green and yellow) "Live At Teatro Tenda Pianeta, Rome, Italy, 26 April 1982". In fact, I hope I stay a moody person just so I can continue to enjoy the vast expanse that is the music of Miles Davis.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Does anyone know why Columbia/Legacy didn't include Agharta and Pangaea in their re-release project in the late 90s?

·
Registered
15,446 Posts
Does anyone know why Columbia/Legacy didn't include Agharta and Pangaea in their re-release project in the late 90s?
No idea, but I'm sure most Miles enthusiasts scarfed up the Japanese editions. I think Agharta is still available at CDJapan.

·
Registered
15,446 Posts

Just ordered this 4 disc set that was released last year. Includes live concerts from Paris, Copenhagen, and Stockholm. From what I've read these are the best sounding remasters of this material that has been available on other releases. Also includes the Coltrane interview that was released years ago on the Complete Stockholm sessions on the Swedish Dragon label.

Wynton Kelly - piano
Paul Chambers - bass
Jimmy Cobb - drums

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
^ I have most of the recordings except for the Paris concert. It is available as mp3 download but the sound quality is very bad. If the sound of Paris concert in that set is good, I am interested in getting it.

I just found this new release. (8/16/2019)
Miles Davis: The Lost Recording (Sleepy Night Records)

Recorded on 11th May 1969 in Rotterdam. I think this has not been released before.

·
Registered
15,446 Posts
Tortkis, I'll report back here after I've listened to the set. I'm still waiting for it too arrive. For years I wanted the Miles w/ Coltrane/Stitt Stockholm 4 disc set which I never did purchase, so I hope I'm happy with this Bootleg Series edition.

Reactions: tortkis

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Tortkis, I'll report back here after I've listened to the set. I'm still waiting for it too arrive. For years I wanted the Miles w/ Coltrane/Stitt Stockholm 4 disc set which I never did purchase, so I hope I'm happy with this Bootleg Series edition.
Thank you. I have 3 sets of the same Stockholm recording: the single disc version (DIW), 4-disc set including the concerts with Stitt, and another 4-disc set All of You including only the concerts with Coltrane. That's the reason I hesitate to get the Bootleg set, but I really love the 1960 group with Coltrane.

·
Registered
15,446 Posts
The 4 disc Stockholm set is a bit more affordable now. But I wish I had picked up more Miles sets when they were in print. I could kick myself because several years back Grooves inc was selling several of the re-issued boxes for 20 dollars. But the only one I bought is the 60s quintet. I wish I had grabbed the Seven Steps box and a couple others.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
^ I have most of the recordings except for the Paris concert. It is available as mp3 download but the sound quality is very bad. If the sound of Paris concert in that set is good, I am interested in getting it.

I just found this new release. (8/16/2019)
Miles Davis: The Lost Recording (Sleepy Night Records)

Recorded on 11th May 1969 in Rotterdam. I think this has not been released before.
Can't seem to track this down. Can you post a link to where you found it please. Much appreciated. I have a November 1969 of his band in Rotterdam but not a May recording.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I found it at Presto Jazz.
https://www.prestomusic.com/jazz/products/8625169--miles-davis-the-lost-quintet
Label: Sleepy Night Records
Catalogue No: SNRCD013

Miles and his Quintet were on their 1969 European tour, promoting the 'Bitches Brew' album.

Recorded on 11th May 1969 in Rotterdam, the recordings were lost for years and now available brilliantly remastered as a CD.

The title seems to be Miles Davis The Lost Quintet. The label page does not contain any info.
https://www.sleepynight-shop.com/product/coming-soon-miles-davis-the-lost-quintet

Actually, I cannot find a record of the quintet's Europe tour in May 1969. I am not sure if that recording date or the location is accurate. It's better to confirm before purchasing.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
I found it at Presto Jazz.
https://www.prestomusic.com/jazz/products/8625169--miles-davis-the-lost-quintet
Label: Sleepy Night Records
Catalogue No: SNRCD013

Miles and his Quintet were on their 1969 European tour, promoting the 'Bitches Brew' album.

Recorded on 11th May 1969 in Rotterdam, the recordings were lost for years and now available brilliantly remastered as a CD.

The title seems to be Miles Davis The Lost Quintet. The label page does not contain any info.
https://www.sleepynight-shop.com/product/coming-soon-miles-davis-the-lost-quintet

Actually, I cannot find a record of the quintet's Europe tour in May 1969. I am not sure if that recording date or the location is accurate. It's better to confirm before purchasing.
I have to admit, like you, I have my doubts about the provenance of this "Lost recording". I'm pretty sure they were never in Rotterdam in May 1969. I'd need to hear it and compare it with the November recording I have to see if it's the same thing and a mis-dating.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
So either we are going to get a cd of the Philly gig (correct date) or the Rotterdam gig (wrong date!). I'll sample it when it gets released and hear if it sounds the same as the Rotterdam cd I have. The timings might give it away but hearing is believing.

·
Registered
15,446 Posts
I'm groovin' to the Miles & Coltrane Paris Concert 1960 from the Sony Bootleg Series Vol 6. It sounds pretty darn good! There is a touch of distortion on some of the louder trumpet phrases, but it's not a major issue. I'm sure it's better than that MP3 Tortkis heard. Whether or not one is a fan of Coltrane's mercurial solos on this tour is another matter. To my ears it's not some of his better playing, and I enjoy it more when he's not soloing. The set comes with a very classy booklet containing some great photos I've not seen before. For 20 dollars it's a great set!

·
Registered
950 Posts
As a kind of limited Top 10 overview I go with:

Birth of The Cool
Cookin'
Miles Ahead
Ascenseur Pour L'echafaud
Kind of Blue
...at Carnegie Hall
Miles Smiles
Filles de Kilimanjaro