Classical Music Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
My top favourite Miles album is the recording of the complete live concert at Lincoln Center NY, February 12, 1964, originally issued on two strange separate albums (one for the ballads and one for the uptempo): Four & More and My Funny Valentine.

Fortunately, the album was issued in 1992 as:
Tie Coat Publication Suit Font

This is the most energetic jazz quintet imaginable, with Tony Williams as the force of nature, who constantly changes tempi to push everyone upto the limit...and beyond.

In Miles Autobiography, he writes that there was a fight within the band over payment or whatever that day, which they are clearly fighting out during the concert.

Anyhow, from all Miles albums, this one I like best.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
My top favourite Miles album is the recording of the complete live concert at Lincoln Center NY, February 12, 1964, originally issued on two strange separate albums (one for the ballads and one for the uptempo): Four & More and My Funny Valentine.

View attachment 121601

This is the most energetic jazz quintet imaginable, with Tony Williams as the force of nature, who constantly changes tempi to push everyone upto the limit...and beyond.

In Miles Autobiography, he writes that there was a fight within the band over payment or whatever that day, which they are clearly fighting out during the concert.

Relatively recent purchase of mine. One of the on-line audiophile stores had the MFSL masterings of each album on sale for $15 (IIRC). I'm not a big believer in audiophile live albums, but I figured why not. While I started with the first quintet, I've now grown to prefer the second quintet overall, and these include 80% of them.

MFSL has recently released remastered versions of "Miles Smiles" and "Porgy and Bess." Even though I have both albums (including the early Sony SACD of "Miles Smiles"), they are on my wish list.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts

View attachment 121601

that version of My bloody Valentine is amazing. Maybe not the most the one I would recommend to someone who doesn't know the melody of the tune, bu t a really deep version of the song witouth a doubt

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
FYI - Tidal will sell you the complete "Live from the Plugged Nickel" set as a download. $37 for MP3; $67 for FLAC. I'm pretty sure you don't need to be a suscriber. I've streamed it, but haven't pulled the plug (pun intended) on a purchase.

·
Registered
15,446 Posts
Miles In Tokyo with Sam Rivers is another excellent live disc.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I'm groovin' to the Miles & Coltrane Paris Concert 1960 from the Sony Bootleg Series Vol 6. It sounds pretty darn good! There is a touch of distortion on some of the louder trumpet phrases, but it's not a major issue. I'm sure it's better than that MP3 Tortkis heard. Whether or not one is a fan of Coltrane's mercurial solos on this tour is another matter. To my ears it's not some of his better playing, and I enjoy it more when he's not soloing. The set comes with a very classy booklet containing some great photos I've not seen before. For 20 dollars it's a great set!
I listened to the bootleg series vol. 6. Yes, the sound of the Paris concert (March 21, 1960) is very good. The bass sound is clearly captured and I was impressed with Chambers's performance. The Copenhagen concert recording (March 24, 1960) sounds much better than "All of You: The Last Tour, 1960". Miles Davis's playing is very good in these concerts - precise, restrained yet strong. These tour albums and the 1961 Village Vanguard are my favorite Coltrane recordings. I listened to the Stockholm recording many times but it still sounds quite thrilling.

I've been listening to some bootlegs recently. The recording sounds of these albums are relatively good.

Shinjuku Kosei Nenkin Hall, Tokyo, Japan, June 19th, 1973

Powerful and intense. Superb.

Live at the Hollywood Bowl, September 25, 1981

Miles's trumpet was still unstable and Evans (sax) is not so interesting to me, but I love the 1981 band very much. It is jazzier and there are some loose, spontaneous and pleasant moods.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
that version of My bloody Valentine is amazing. Maybe not the most the one I would recommend to someone who doesn't know the melody of the tune, bu t a really deep version of the song witouth a doubt
I'm thinking it might be My Funny Valentine rather than the indie band!:)

Reactions: norman bates

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
So either we are going to get a cd of the Philly gig (correct date) or the Rotterdam gig (wrong date!). I'll sample it when it gets released and hear if it sounds the same as the Rotterdam cd I have. The timings might give it away but hearing is believing.
According to a comment by Tracy Parsons on this youtube clip, it is the Rotterdam concert in November 11, 1969.

·
Registered
12,048 Posts
Miles Davis is one the artists I would take to my desert island. His entire recorded collection is filled with masterpieces of Jazz. But for me the sweetest spot is the period from 1955-1967.

This 12 year span included these recordings (live and studio) - Title (recording date):

Miles: The New Miles Davis Quintet (1955)
Cookin' (1956)
Relaxin' (1956)
Workin' (1956)
Steamin' (1956)
'Round About Midnight (1955-56)
Miles Ahead (1957)
Milestones (1958)
Porgy and Bess (1958)
Kind of Blue (1959)
Sketches of Spain (1959)
Someday My Prince Will Come (1961)
In Person Friday Nights at the Blackhawk, San Francisco (1961)
Miles Davis at Carnegie Hall (1961)
Seven Steps to Heaven (1963)
Miles Davis in Europe (1963)
My Funny Valentine (1964)
Four & More (1964)
Miles in Tokyo (1964)
Miles in Berlin (1964)
E.S.P. (1965)
At Plugged Nickel, Chicago (1965)
Miles Smiles (1966)
Sorcerer (1967)
Nefertiti (1967)

This period contains both the Great Quintets; the three classic collaborations with Gil Evans; as well as the greatest Jazz record ever made, Kind of Blue.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts