Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11,532 Posts
Instruments are neutral: there is no such thing as a 'classical music instrument"

There are hosts of associations with one kind of musical style as linked to a particular instrument + the style of playing that instrument. "Jazz Trumpet," for example... the trumpet existing long before "jazz.'

I find it more than distasteful, and greatly distorted, to hear, say, Monteverdi done with jazz inflections... I would not object at all if a Jazz player / band took a Monteverdi piece and used it as the basis for a piece, just as Jazz takes a stock show tune or lounge ballade and reworks it into something else.

It is the 'pretty much intact but I'm going to put a spin on the stylistic delivery' stuff which annoys the hell out of me - sounds like a bad pastiche vs. a good piece.

As to coloristic effects, again, if they seem to have a purpose, and feel very much part of the piece, then I'm all for'em. Some composers use them willy-nilly, just for effect, and I find that weak.

·
Registered
11,532 Posts
Monteverdi was one of the first who introduced the walking bass!
I love Christina Pluhar's l'Arpeggiata doing good old Monti:

Perhaps we can get it banned by papal decree. :rolleyes:
This sort of thing (seen / heard it) always strikes me as a pathetic attempt to show how the old music is "hip" -- it is also very square -- not really jazz -- from some intensely fine classical players. It ends up sounding like parody / travesty vs. anything of real interest.

Leave the Pope out of it: what would be left for me to revile? :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.