Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
23,985 Posts
Monteverdi!

Handsome devil. Composed some really early operas, some cutting-edge madrigals back when that was a thing, and (despite Rachmaninoff) the most famous vespers ever.

Here is a short list of recommendations, and I look forward to hearing others' suggestions.

This is a fantastic DVD of a fantastic production by any standard. One of my favorite opera DVDs by any composer.

On CD, I have only Gardiner's recording, and it is good enough.

I've heard three other recordings of some of Monteverdi's madrigals, and none of them are bad, but this is the only complete set I've heard and it is a gem. I predict that La Venexiana will remain the recordings to hear for at least a decade!

Don't get hung up on the album cover. This recording has been released multiple times and by different labels because it is the one. In terms of popularity, Gardiner is a close second. There are a lot of other recordings to choose from.... If I can get away with offering an idiosyncratic choice despite my lack of knowledge in the field, I'd mention Junghanel, and maybe Koopman. And for a contrast, maybe the Scholars Baroque Ensemble on Naxos.

Happy listening. This is some stuff you don't want to miss.

What have I missed?

· Registered
13,298 Posts
This most lately blew me away:

THE FULL MONTEVERDI ~ A film by John La Bouchardière
Madrigals, Book 4; I Fagiolini; Robert Hollingworth, music director
http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=2.110224
The singing is superb, one voice per part as it should be, and these are dramatically staged (very quietly) and done in modern dress. Great performance, quite directly moving.
[ ADD: The entire body of Monteverdi's Madrigals is (imo) one of the greater monuments from all of music history... amazing and completely fluid writing, astonishing use of harmony, immediately expressive. END ADD ]

Jordi Savall et alia in this performance of Orfeo (I'm a blindly adoring Savall fan) I would hope is available in a recording or DVD

I have only seen a production of L'incoronazione di Poppea so have no recording to recommend, but strongly recommend the opera.

This gem of a song is I'm sure part of a collection on one disc, which I'm sure you can find by an easy search using the names of the group, director, singers (also listed in the link.)
I think the performance is, everyone involved, superb
"Zefiro torna" ;Nuria Rial (soprano); Philippe Jaroussky (countertenor); L'Arpeggiata (direction: Christina Pluhar)

P.s. It really is surprising there was not already a Monteverdi thread... one of my most favored composers. Good going!

· Registered
4,609 Posts
An absolutely shocking omission from the Composer Guestbook. Well done Science for rectifying this so quickly.
Monteverdi is an amazing composer. I can't really add to the eloquence of PetrB.
Suffice to say that L'Orfeo, the Vespers and the Complete Madrigals are amongst my A-list CDs.

I've also seen THE FULL MONTEVERDI. Great performances indeed. It pops up on Sky Arts every now and again.

· Registered
10,738 Posts
I tend to listen to the San Giovanni Battista vespers more than the San Marco ones, partly because I like the recording that Leonhardt made. For the San Marco Vespers, I have and like the old recording with Jürgen Jürgens, not the one Jürgens made with Harnoncourt.

For Combattimento, I remember being impressed by how Monteverdi, in the preface, talks about how he's exploring warlike emotions, Harnoncourt's outstanding at revealing this. I like Vartolo too, because it's got this feel of something very very old.

I'd like to get to know Selva Morale et Spirituale better.

For the madrigals, I'm particularly fond of the a cappella ones in Bk 4. I've enjoyed the old performances by Leppard aswell as La Venexiana and Alessandrini.

For the operas, on CD I enjoyed Ensemble Elyma. And on DVD I enjoyed the Ponnelle productions. What I like most about Monteverdi operas, apart from the recitative style, is the fact that it's so erudite, he's like Shakespeare in that respect.

I would like to have the music that Seneca sings before he learns of his execution at my funeral. Another thing I like is the wrestler's music in Ulisse. Henze's orchestration of Ulysse is well worth exploring.

One of the most moving things I've ever seen was an Orfeo in London, semi staged by Jonathan Miller, with Bostridge and Cioffi. The moment when Charon leads Orfeo down the Styx, the sole prop an oar, was unforgettable.

I wonder if anyone knows about pre HIP recordings of the operas - there are wonderful things in Leppard's recording of Incoronazione with Vickers. Having said that I think the old recording of madrigals with Boulanger made with Cuenod is dreadful. One good old one is some very characterful madrigals sung by New York Pro Musica, there's a transfer on symphonyshare.

I think Monteverdi was a greater composer than J.S Bach. Of operas.

· Registered
2,340 Posts

· Registered
10,738 Posts
Yesterday I bought the tickets for me and (exceptionally!) my wife for L'Incoronazione di Poppea at la Scala:

http://www.teatroallascala.org/en/season/opera-ballet/2014-2015/coronation-of-poppea.html

A Robert Wilson production already staged in Paris last year, conducted by Rinaldo Alessandrini,

We'll go on February 27, when tickets are sold at half their price :cool:
I hope you enjoy it. Sometimes I think that Robert Wilson's operas are a bit samey -- slick light tricks and stylised walking.

· Registered
2,928 Posts
Chin Hairstyle Font Publication Art

I really highly recommend this book. The author takes the time to really dig into L'orefo, Combattimento, Ulisse, and Poppea and makes you appreciate all the little choices Monteverdi made musically to highlight the emotional meaning behind the texts. Truly eye-opening. I come away from each reading session in absolute amazement at his genius.

· Premium Member
1,081 Posts
This gem of a song is I'm sure part of a collection on one disc, which I'm sure you can find by an easy search using the names of the group, director, singers (also listed in the link.)
I think the performance is, everyone involved, superb
"Zefiro torna" ;Nuria Rial (soprano); Philippe Jaroussky (countertenor); L'Arpeggiata (direction: Christina Pluhar)
My favorite Monteverdi CD in fact :) :)
Monteverdi: Teatro d'amore
recorded by Christina Pluhar and L'arpeggiata

· Registered
23,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've not yet decided whether to buy it or not... (i've several madrigals boxes: Alessandrini, The brilliant classics one, Rooley, I fagiolini)

View attachment 68340

your view/opinion is more than welcome
LK
I can't tell you what to do with your money, but I'm very glad I bought that set.

· Registered
23,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Monteverdi!

View attachment 62334

Handsome devil. Composed some really early operas, some cutting-edge madrigals back when that was a thing, and (despite Rachmaninoff) the most famous vespers ever.

Here is a short list of recommendations, and I look forward to hearing others' suggestions.

View attachment 62338

This is a fantastic DVD of a fantastic production by any standard. One of my favorite opera DVDs by any composer.

On CD, I have only Gardiner's recording, and it is good enough.

View attachment 62339

I've heard three other recordings of some of Monteverdi's madrigals, and none of them are bad, but this is the only complete set I've heard and it is a gem. I predict that La Venexiana will remain the recordings to hear for at least a decade!

View attachment 62336

Don't get hung up on the album cover. This recording has been released multiple times and by different labels because it is the one. In terms of popularity, Gardiner is a close second. There are a lot of other recordings to choose from.... If I can get away with offering an idiosyncratic choice despite my lack of knowledge in the field, I'd mention Junghanel, and maybe Koopman. And for a contrast, maybe the Scholars Baroque Ensemble on Naxos.

Happy listening. This is some stuff you don't want to miss.

What have I missed?
Well, I deleted the attachments so that post sucks now. The first recommendation was Savall's DVD recording of Orfeo; the second was La Venexiana's complete recording of the madrigals, which CMonteverdi just asked about; the third was Parrott's recording of the vespers.

· Registered
7,680 Posts
...............bump.

Product Font Poster Art Advertising

Monteverdi: Scherzi Musicali / Aymes / harmonia mundi musique d`abord budget price series

This is the most immediately attractive Monteverdi CD I´ve encountered, with 20 pieces, very lively and Baroque-sounding, prominent instrumental parts, and classical, not-too-HIP performances. A delight from start to finish :).

Having acquired the Venexiana Ensemble recordings of the 9 Madrigal Books on the Glossa label, I now consider my Monteverdi collection reasonably finished & ready to explore further in depth.

IMO, one should at least try to have/know the CD above, L´Orfeo, the Maria Vespers, and some of the late madrigals, especially from Libro VIII (such as "Il Combattimento di Tancredi e Clorinda" and "Lamento della Ninfa").

I find it somewhat harder to appreciate the other operas, which may be due to the recordings I have (Ulisse/Leppard, Poppea/Harnoncourt), but so be it. Also, my impressions might change.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts