Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
I prefer the Andrew Parrott with the Taverner Consort, the Christina Pluhar with L'Arpeggiata, and the Sigiswald Kuijken with La Petite Bande. To me it works best with smaller numbers of soloists. No need for multiple voices singing the Sonata Sopra Sancta Maria, for example.

·
Registered
12,048 Posts
I prefer the Andrew Parrott with the Taverner Consort, the Christina Pluhar with L'Arpeggiata, and the Sigiswald Kuijken with La Petite Bande. To me it works best with smaller numbers of soloists. No need for multiple voices singing the Sonata Sopra Sancta Maria, for example.
Me too, and I am very happy to see your post.

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
I like the Gardiner first recording too. I often lean towards HIP baroque recordings but there is something I find really powerful about this interpretation.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I haven't heard Gardiner. I own about 5 but one is in a box and I only heard it once (I think Bernius/German harmonia mundi). My first was Herreweghe that is a rather typical example of his late 80s/early 90s style, well sung, but overall a bit moderate, lyrical.

My favorites are probably Garrido for a lush, almost garishly huge ensemble, and Alessandrini for a lean, smallish, brilliant group. Or Jacobs for something in the middle of them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts