Classical Music Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I have yet to try out the sinfonia concertante. At a bit of a crossroads, because generally whatever Marriner and the ASMF recorded for the movie Amadeus is my favorite recording of that work because those recordings are just so good!! Btw so is almost everything Marriner recorded of Mozart, which is basically every work of him. So the movie soundtrack includes sinfonia concertante but it’s only the 1st movement. So maybe I will just get to know the 1st movement via that recording and then compare with the rest to see which recording I’m going to use for the entire work. Or I could pick an earlier recording by Marriner and ASMF that they did of the work, but I’m not sure if it’s as good as the later only 1st movement one

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
I have yet to try out the sinfonia concertante. At a bit of a crossroads, because generally whatever Marriner and the ASMF recorded for the movie Amadeus is my favorite recording of that work because those recordings are just so good!! Btw so is almost everything Marriner recorded of Mozart, which is basically every work of him. So the movie soundtrack includes sinfonia concertante but it’s only the 1st movement. So maybe I will just get to know the 1st movement via that recording and then compare with the rest to see which recording I’m going to use for the entire work. Or I could pick an earlier recording by Marriner and ASMF that they did of the work, but I’m not sure if it’s as good as the later only 1st movement one
You might consider buying this cheap CD. I believe that Oistrakh conducts the Mozart. The disc, of course, includes one of the great recordings of the Brahms concerto:

Font Advertising Art Supernatural creature Publication

·
Registered
53 Posts
This is my favourite Mozart orchestral work. I seem to have three recordings (most unusual for me; I seldom manage more than one on account of cost). They are (in no particular order):
Stephanie and Roger Chase, Hanover Band Roy Goodman
Vilde Frang and Jonathan Cohen, Arcangelo
Thomas Zehetmair Ruth Killius; Orchestra of the 18th Century, Franz Brüggen
I don't buy recordings by dead musicians. I prefer to support living ones. I like them better anyway.

·
Super Moderator
31,546 Posts
I like 3 and 5 best, but would rate them lower than a handful (or more) of piano concertos, two horn concertos, the oboe concerto and best of all the clarinet concerto. I have the 3d and 5th combined on a CD by Perlman and Levine on DG.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I would think for Mozart fans - the VCs are indispensable - as they are for me. Compared with his output from that period - the last 3 (3-5) really shine - inspired compositions.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
1, 2 & 3 - Itzhak Perlman with James Levine and Wiener Philharmoniker
4 – Jascha Heifetz
5 – Armin Jordan with Lausanne Chamber Orchestra
They are what got me into CM. Still play them today. 1 & 2 are wonderful.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I like 3 and 5 best, but would rate them lower than a handful (or more) of piano concertos, two horn concertos, the oboe concerto and best of all the clarinet concerto. I have the 3d and 5th combined on a CD by Perlman and Levine on DG.
I tend to agree with most of this, though I haven't worked out which violin concerto I like best. I love the clarinet concerto, but I have a sneaking preference for the clarinet quintet. That's probably because my big passion is chamber (and solo) music.

·
Registered
53 Posts
1, 2 & 3 - Itzhak Perlman with James Levine and Wiener Philharmoniker
4 – Jascha Heifetz
5 – Armin Jordan with Lausanne Chamber Orchestra
They are what got me into CM. Still play them today. 1 & 2 are wonderful.
I no longer play LPs. I sold my collection on TradeMe (for not a lot more than 50c per disc). The price demonstrates the joys of living in a very small philistine country. But the last thing I wanted was for them to land up at the dump after my death. They deserved better even if I'd lost interest in them. I didn't have many; 800-850.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
This is my favourite Mozart orchestral work. I seem to have three recordings (most unusual for me; I seldom manage more than one on account of cost). They are (in no particular order):
Stephanie and Roger Chase, Hanover Band Roy Goodman
Vilde Frang and Jonathan Cohen, Arcangelo
Thomas Zehetmair Ruth Killius; Orchestra of the 18th Century, Franz Brüggen
I don't buy recordings by dead musicians. I prefer to support living ones. I like them better anyway.
But what if the dead ones have a better vision and execution of the piece than the living ones? Maybe selfish but it’s about my listening experience and if the living ones actually are better than the dead ones then I’ll support them. For example in violin concertos I wouldn’t choose a living soloist over Heifetz

·
Registered
53 Posts
But what if the dead ones have a better vision and execution of the piece than the living ones? Maybe selfish but it’s about my listening experience and if the living ones actually are better than the dead ones then I’ll support them. For example in violin concertos I wouldn’t choose a living soloist over Heifetz
Oh how I'd love my late friend Walter to talk about Heifetz v today's best violinists. Walter played the violin and got good enough to join a professional orchestra but wisely chose to be an accountant. Heifetz was his idol, but I'm pretty sure before he died he preferred today's musicians. He even wondered once if they're better than yesteryear's greats. It's at least two years since he died but I still miss him because he was the only musical friend I ever had.We never met, except on Skype. It's about my listening experience too, and when I listen to the greats of yesteryear I often find myself muttering, "Oh, for goodness' sake stay on the note!" That's how much constant vibrato can get to my ears these days. My Dad took a few violin lessons when he was an adult and I wish he had continued. My parents both had a modicum of talent —my mother good enough at the piano to have her teacher offer to teach her free, but Mum was too proud to accept. Silly woman. No teacher, even if she enjoys teaching, would offer free lessons to someone who showed no talent. Kreisler was Dad's idol, incidentally, but I think that was because he was Dad's teacher's idol. Dad knew very little about classical music.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Oh how I'd love my late friend Walter to talk about Heifetz v today's best violinists. Walter played the violin and got good enough to join a professional orchestra but wisely chose to be an accountant. Heifetz was his idol, but I'm pretty sure before he died he preferred today's musicians. He even wondered once if they're better than yesteryear's greats. It's at least two years since he died but I still miss him because he was the only musical friend I ever had.We never met, except on Skype. It's about my listening experience too, and when I listen to the greats of yesteryear I often find myself muttering, "Oh, for goodness' sake stay on the note!" That's how much constant vibrato can get to my ears these days. My Dad took a few violin lessons when he was an adult and I wish he had continued. My parents both had a modicum of talent —my mother good enough at the piano to have her teacher offer to teach her free, but Mum was too proud to accept. Silly woman. No teacher, even if she enjoys teaching, would offer free lessons to someone who showed no talent. Kreisler was Dad's idol, incidentally, but I think that was because he was Dad's teacher's idol. Dad knew very little about classical music.
All right so you don’t like wide and often use of vibrato. Heifetz was an example. If you can cite me an account of Schubert’s 8th symphony that is better than Kleiber I’ll eat my hat. Of course it’s all subjective so we won’t get anywhere but I’m interested if there’s a very good modern recording of the piece that you know

·
Registered
53 Posts
All right so you don’t like wide and often use of vibrato. Heifetz was an example. If you can cite me an account of Schubert’s 8th symphony that is better than Kleiber I’ll eat my hat. Of course it’s all subjective so we won’t get anywhere but I’m interested if there’s a very good modern recording of the piece that you know
Sorry, but I don't know any very good modern recording. The only Schubert in my collection consists of solo piano and chamber music.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You should really buy one, they’re amazing symphonies, and the 8th and 9th especially. But there’s just too many legendary players and conductors to ignore, I can name 50
Thanks but I'm busy chasing renaissance English composers at the moment. It's not easy on a low income (what the New Zealand government fondly calls superannuation, a euphemism for what was once called old age pension) and I'm often reduced to buying downloads, which I hate if the booklet isn't included. I'm also becoming acquainted with "the great Weiss" (not my description; it was Wilhelmina of Baireuth, a sister of Frederick the Great, who penned it). I have a few of Robert Barto's recordings and I bought a download of Michel Cardin's complete set, which was cheaper than chasing all of the Barto CDs.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Thanks but I'm busy chasing renaissance English composers at the moment. It's not easy on a low income (what the New Zealand government fondly calls superannuation, a euphemism for what was once called old age pension) and I'm often reduced to buying downloads, which I hate if the booklet isn't included. I'm also becoming acquainted with "the great Weiss" (not my description; it was Wilhelmina of Baireuth, a sister of Frederick the Great, who penned it). I have a few of Robert Barto's recordings and I bought a download of Michel Cardin's complete set, which was cheaper than chasing all of the Barto CDs.
If you have time you can always listen for free on YouTube!

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you have time you can always listen for free on YouTube!
Thanks, Eva. I do that when I have time. That's how I've found many new musicians to chase on CD. However, a computer is not a good thing to listen on. I prefer my hi fi, even though most of it dates from 1976. My CD player can play from external drives but I can never get it to find what I want. After "A Celebration for Harp" it skips to Bach. So what's happened to Abel's Drexel Manuscript? I ask. Abel comes before Bach in alphabetical order. At the moment I'm not getting time for music at all. A car accident leaving my husband unable to keep his driver's licence (he blacked out at the wheel; a sort of mini-stroke that damaged his left peripheral vision) is forcing us to sell and go into a retirement village, where we have to take an apartment though we would rather have a cottage (what the village quaintly calls villas). I feel more like an 87-year-old than 77.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Thanks, Eva. I do that when I have time. That's how I've found many new musicians to chase on CD. However, a computer is not a good thing to listen on. I prefer my hi fi, even though most of it dates from 1976. My CD player can play from external drives but I can never get it to find what I want. After "A Celebration for Harp" it skips to Bach. So what's happened to Abel's Drexel Manuscript? I ask. Abel comes before Bach in alphabetical order. At the moment I'm not getting time for music at all. A car accident leaving my husband unable to keep his driver's licence (he blacked out at the wheel; a sort of mini-stroke that damaged his left peripheral vision) is forcing us to sell and go into a retirement village, where we have to take an apartment though we would rather have a cottage (what the village quaintly calls villas). I feel more like an 87-year-old than 77.
I’m really sorry for that, I would understand that music is not the highest priority for you

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
weirdly enough i really liked the HIP Zinman one. the quick tempo makes the lyrical section seem almost like a dance where the bottom falls out into the abyss, which is an interesting take on the piece

21 - 40 of 46 Posts