Classical Music Forum banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Banned
16,021 Posts
I'd be satified if classical music is recognized openly for what it is: music by white males of the 18th century. It never was inclusive, because that's what it was.

This forum probably is not the best place to discuss this issue, either, because I suspect that the majority of members here are drawn to classical music for precisely those characteristics, which reinforces their lifestyle and identity.

If the definition of classical music is not recognized or spoken of as "music by white males of the 18th century," then this becomes a form of color blind racism. It's imperative that we recognize CM as "white" music made by white men.

·
Banned
16,021 Posts
OMG...Tis an out-rage!!! The solution : B urn that KKK venue to the ground and scatter it in 4 winds, because even its dreaded ashes are white and racist...:cool:
Flamme is being sarcastic (which often translates poorly online). Apparently, Flamme doesn't see racism as a problem, or as having anything to do with him (her).

He thinks that Europeans are always laughing at Americans because we are over-sensitive to the race issue.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I'm sorry but thats how ''protesters'' usually ''solve'' the alleged racism...:eek::lol:

·
Banned
16,021 Posts
I only need classical music to be relevant to me. I also need it to be viable enough as a product for it to be available to me. I don't understand the apparent need that some have to reinterpret the past to fit modern conventions, or ideas.
Yes, but you're just "removing" classical music from the race issues of today because it was created in a time & place where that did not matter yet.

But I think that for the present, you should learn to acknowlege the fact that classical music is "white" music made by white men. That way, you will not be "color blind" racist.

Does it make you uncomfortable to acknowledge the fact that classical music is "white" music created by white males of the 18th century? It shouldn't, because that's what it is. And that's why most members here like it.

·
Banned
16,021 Posts
I'm sorry but thats how ''protesters'' usually ''solve'' the alleged racism...:eek::lol:
As Malcolm X said, "by any means necessary." It's about time we tore down those Confederate Jim Crow monuments. If that means tearing them down in a riot, then SO BE IT.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Omg, ok, I get it, I get it...Just a reminder that they will knock on your door last...lol Btw this ''homie'' doesnt look like he passed further Young Thug and similar...Artists...How he ended up in there in the first place, is a real head scratcher...:eek::D

·
Registered
739 Posts
Funny but when I was employed the employer who paid my wages was also unreasonable enough to expect me to do what I told him. If you didn't you were given a warning and if you still acted in an insubordinately manner you were fired. This guy is making this out to be a racist issue when in fact it's just a matter of insubordination. If the fella had been white and had been fired for playing the wrong stuff would anyone have been making a fuss?
Perhaps next time this guy (he plays the bassoon?) plays with an orchestra he should play a piece of his own choosing instead of the conductors?

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Funny but when I was employed the employer who paid my wages was also unreasonable enough to expect me to do what I told him. If you didn't you were given a warning and if you still acted in an insubordinately manner you were fired. This guy is making this out to be a racist issue when in fact it's just a matter of insubordination. If the fella had been white and had been fired for playing the wrong stuff would anyone have been making a fuss?
Perhaps next time this guy (he plays the bassoon?) plays with an orchestra he should play a piece of his own choosing instead of the conductors?
Let's take the race out of the news story and nothing unusual is left about it. Just one guy did not follow proper procedure and got fired.
Context.

Yes, he was fired for failing to follow directions to play songs on their "authorized" playlist.

The difference here IS because

1. He's the only black Classical DJ
2. He was playing tracks to reflect his commentary on current civil rights issues and events.
3. Management actually praised his effective DJ-ing

The auspices under which he was fired is a prime example of following arbitrarily designed procedures to the letter, rather than allowing creativity in a creative field.

Management could have just as easily allowed an exemption for him to play what he felt was appropriate (as long as it was within the limits of decency). It's not like this was some sort of health or safety issue - it was a bookkeeping matter of tracking tracks played.

White DJs only for Classical Music?

"Let's take the race out of the news story and nothing unusual is left about it."

Take the race out of any racial issue and, naturally, there's no longer anything racial about it.

·
Registered
37,499 Posts
Context.

Yes, he was fired for failing to follow directions to play songs on their "authorized" playlist.

2. He was playing tracks to reflect his commentary on current civil rights issues and events.

The auspices under which he was fired is a prime example of following arbitrarily designed procedures to the letter, rather than allowing creativity in a creative field.
The DJ profession is not a creative field, and the fired person's commentary on matters of civil rights is outside his job description.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Context.

Management could have just as easily allowed an exemption for him to play what he felt was appropriate (as long as it was within the limits of decency). It's not like this was some sort of health or safety issue - it was a bookkeeping matter of tracking tracks played.

White DJs only for Classical Music?

"Let's take the race out of the news story and nothing unusual is left about it."

Take the race out of any racial issue and, naturally, there's no longer anything racial about it.
It was not a racial issue at all. He made it a racial issue. He was not doing what he was asked to do. If my editor wants me to write a story about X and I go and write a story about Y because I think I should he is not going to be too happy. Nothing to do with race just doing as you are told in your job. Like everybody else has to

·
Registered
214 Posts
That is the key to understand racial issues. That is what we should do - take the race out of the argument. We should talk about human dignity regardless of the skin colour.
When someone points out his/hers or other persons skin colour they become racist right there. Slogan "black lives matter" is as racist as any other one that is based on skin colour.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Context. . . .

. . .
I think that this is the one part that makes the situation a bit complicated. If they actually did praise his DJ-ing (meaning that they praised the very changes that they later said were the cause of his firing), but told him not to do it anymore, then they were sending mixed signals.

·
Registered
37,499 Posts
I think that this is the one part that makes the situation a bit complicated. If they actually did praise his DJ-ing (meaning that they praised the very changes that they later said were the cause of his firing), but told him not to do it anymore, then they were sending mixed signals.
Isn't it possible that there was a change in management? Praise might have changed into objections over the DJ not getting with the program.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Isn't it possible that there was a change in management? Praise might have changed into objections over the DJ not getting with the program.
I suppose that is possible, but that was not noted in any descriptions I had seen. (Indeed, the implication was that it was the same management that praised and fired. If that is not the case, then the description lacks this important distinction and is perhaps intentionally misleading.) If that were the case, the new management only needed to issue an initial warning to reset the expectations. Failure to adhere to the new warning would be reasonable grounds for other actions, including being fired.

·
Registered
635 Posts
The post-George Floyd era means black people don't have to follow rules if they don't feel like it and you, as a non-black person, have no right to complain about it. Indeed, it may be racist or even illegal (or should be) to complain. This station should be forced to hire not one black man to replace him but at least 10, and all of them should replace the top leadership. Racial utopia is just over the horizon.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.