Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Has anyone read "A SOUND MIND How I Fell in Love With Classical Music (and Decided to Rewrite Its Entire History)"
By Paul Morley yet?

·
Registered
69 Posts
After years of resisting streaming services, I recently subscribed to Spotify. In these modern times, despite all my reservations, it looks like a great resource. Despite reading books, forums, blogs, and magazines—online and print—I was missing a lot it seems.

I went to Spotify to hear Mozart's K.356, Adagio for Glass Harmonica in C Major, and it puts me down in the middle of a multi-CD album, The Life and Works of Mozart, by Jeremy Siepmann, on Naxos. It seems Siepmann did a whole series of these audiobooks released about 2001 to 2005.

I have listened to "Mozart" and am now part way into "Beethoven". I am really impressed. Most of my previous experience with this sort of thing has been Robert Greenberg's Great Courses, formerly The Teaching Company, lectures. The Siepmann series are quite different. He is not a composer like Greenberg but his knowledge and perspectives are spot on. There is more of a tendency to present complete movements and Siepmann is witty and entertaining. He has the big broadcaster's voice and has found outstanding actors to read the composers' quotes.

I am very surprised I never heard of this series and it has received so little mention on talkclassical. I would highly recommend it to anyone wanting to learn more about a composer and their works. I haven't listened to any of his series beyond "The Life and Works" sets but I see "Classics Explained" albums dedicated to individual works like Beethoven's Sixth, and Brahmns' Piano Concerto No. 2.

A begrudged thank you to Spotify, I guess.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts