Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Inactive
2,408 Posts
Does anyone have any of the Groves editions? I'm looking at a set, 20-volumes, for a dang reasonable price, but I don't want to get it if it doesn't make interesting reading. I can Google stuff for reference. What I'd like it to be is medi depth, interesting articles that may not turn up with an online search. How close am I to it's reality?

Thanks
Sorry not to have see this until now. Hope it's not too late.

I have the 20-volume set from 1980. (I also have the 6 volume set from 1940, but we don't talk about that in polite company, because it singularly lacks an entry for Benjamin Britten ...even in 1940, he should have been worth a mention, war or no war!)

Ebay tells me I paid £75 for the 20-volume version last year, which in retrospect sounds ludicrously cheap. Bizarrely, I bought the 1940 edition the week before for a princely £12.

I can tell you that I use the 20-volume New Grove almost daily. Well, let's say, every three days or so. It's very informative. It is, of course, very "encylopædia-ish", so none of its articles are exactly fun, light reading. But if you want to spell a guy's name correctly, or know what his name actually was versus what everyone says it is, then it's indispensible. And the articles are certainly more in-depth than anything I've met on Google or Wiki. They also have a stamp of authority about them that I just don't get with anything on Wiki! They are worth what I paid for them, anyway. If you're paying a little bit more, fine. Paying much more... it depends on how much you value adjudicated information versus the wisdom of the (invariably stupid) crowd.

Additionally, the thing about Google is, you can't sit back in a comfy chair in front of a fire with an adoring cat on your lap and readily consult it (my cat likes chewing USB cables. Pray he never fancies chewing a 240v power cable!), whereas -though each of the New Groves volumes are not exactly paperlight reads, it is possible to relax back with the Groves and a glass of something, perched felines included. Paper does that for a person: I highly recommend it!!

·
Inactive
2,408 Posts
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

Just wanted to alert people to the fact that amazon.co.uk is currently offering the Tippett biography in hardback for considerably less than a tenner. I paid £8.77 postage-paid for next-day delivery of a brand-new copy, but it's available for even less than that from other sellers (but with postage costs, so it's all a bit of a wash). Seems cheap to me, though, given it's normal list price of £25 or more.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts