Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are on your bucket lists (or would be if you were to indulge in that sort of thing) in terms of classical music experiences, places to visit, etc?

As some examples, just to get us started, a few of mine would include:

-- Hearing the Vienna Phil in the Musikverein
-- Götterdämmerung at Bayreuth
-- Bach at the Thomaskirche in Leipzig
-- seeing a ballet performance of Sacre
-- learning to play Debussy's Claire de Lune (obviously I'm not a pianist)
-- an opera at La Scala
-- Tanglewood
-- Handel's house in Halle
-- hearing a note change at St. Burchardi church in Halberstadt
-- Rothko Chapel in Houston

I'm okay with adding a few non-classical things as well, like:
-- Louis Armstrong Park (Congo Square) in New Orleans
-- the Country Music Hall of Fame
-- the Blue Note in NYC

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm okay with adding a few non-classical things as well, like:

-- the Blue Note in NYC
I'm not sure why you picked the Blue Note from the numerous excellent jazz places in NYC, but for jazz history the Village Vanguard is the superior venue. It opened in 1935 compared to B.N.'s 1981 opening. Numerous great jazz recordings came from there, including John Coltrane's Live At the Village Vanguard (1962) and Bill Evan's Sunday at the Vanguard (1963). There are plenty of vintage photos of jazz legends on the walls.

A List of live albums recorded at the Vanguard

The Village Vanguard Orchestra, founded by Thad Jones and Mel Lewis in 1966, still plays Monday nights.

·
Registered
7,717 Posts
-- Götterdämmerung at Bayreuth
Oh no.. You wouldn't want this..

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
At my age, my bucket list is pretty small. I have no interest in pursuing star conductors, pianists, violinists or even orchestras. All that really remains is a desire to hear certain works live, although given the state of the repertoire of practically every orchestra, I realize that short of fu1.nding these myself they will remain a province of the CD.

1. Any Bax symphony
2. Balakirev symphony no. 1
3. Raff symphony 5. (Given the new Breitkopf & Hartel edition, this is becoming a possibility.)
4. Korngold symphony in F sharp. Cross that off my list! Just heard it in Boston.

I used to want to see all the Wagner operas live - at least the 10 great ones. But given the deplorable stage direction and set design these days, I have no interest in that anymore. Hearing the Green Ring in Seattle which respected Wagner's specific directions very well was as good as it gets. I don't want Wagner re-imagined or set in modern times.

It would also be great to hear all the Puccini operas live in performances that respect his work and are somewhat traditional. American opera companies any more don't venture outside of Boheme, Tosca, Butterfly and not much else.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Musical buckets:
  • Attend a concert by each of the Big Five US symphony orchestras
  • Last night of the Proms
  • Musical vacation to Vienna
  • Go to the opera in Italy
  • Yuja Wang private performance seated on piano bench beside her

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Musical buckets:
  • Attend a concert by each of the Big Five US symphony orchestras
  • Last night of the Proms
  • Musical vacation to Vienna
  • Go to the opera in Italy
  • Yuja Wang private performance seated on piano bench beside her
I'm with you on the Vienna trip! As for Yuja Wang, she would be better seated on my lap while on the piano bench --- I'll press the pedals for her when she winks at me. 🥴

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm with you on the Vienna trip! As for Yuja Wang, she would be better seated on my lap while on the piano bench --- I'll press the pedals for her when she winks at me. 🥴
I understand where you’re coming from but as a married man who respects Yuja as an artist I would restrain myself. Best I could hope for would be during an improvised portion of the concert she lets me pound out a few bass chords while she runs melodic circles around me on the high end. 😆

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
I understand where you’re coming from but as a married man who respects Yuja as an artist I would restrain myself. Best I could hope for would be during an improvised portion of the concert she lets me pound out a few bass chords while she runs melodic circles around me on the high end. 😆
Well, I'm not married, so I don't have to restrain myself at all. :p

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I'm considering visiting Vienna, going to Bruckner Orchestra Linz because probably won't get tickets for Vienna Phil.
Berlin is the other destination: Staasoper & Berlin Phil, would like to get 2 concerts as I have to travel 10 hours.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Munich is only 7 hours from Budapest by train.
I just completed one task of my personal bucket list some weeks ago!

I took the train to Budapest and listened to Mahlers 8th symphony in the state opera. It was a wonderful evening! The day after, we had a look at your beautiful city. It was my first time in Budapest, but definetly not the last one! But I guess, that it was a rare exception (a normal concert in the state opera). Or are there similar concerts sometimes?

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Musical bucket list:

1. See a Mahler symphony conducted by a prominent conductor with a top-flight orchestra like the Berliners or the Wiener Philharmoniker.
2. Visit the Arnold Schoenberg Center in Vienna.
3. Visit Finland and see Sibelius' graveside and his home, Ainola.
4. See Strauss' Der Rosenkavalier in a world-renown opera house (with a great cast and conductor sympathetic to Strauss' sound-world).
5. Visit Debussy's and Ravel's homes.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I just completed one task of my personal bucket list some weeks ago!

I took the train to Budapest and listened to Mahlers 8th symphony in the state opera. It was a wonderful evening! The day after, we had a look at your beautiful city. It was my first time in Budapest, but definetly not the last one! But I guess, that it was a rare exception (a normal concert in the state opera). Or are there similar concerts sometimes?
There used to be 10 concerts a season in the Opera. My first concert was there in April 2014. The tickets & season tickets were dirt-cheap.

If You interested in orchestral concerts, I suggest buying a ticket to BFO, Hungarian National PO, Hungarian Radio SO or MÁV SO next time. I can help with HRSO tickets as I pay 800HUF per concerts, and I also can help in Hungarian National PO tickets, I bought tickets for 1500HUF in September. Most orchestral concerts are in Liszt Academy or Müpa, I prefer Liszt Academy. Pannon PO gave a concert a couple days ago in Musikverein, but the best seats were 80€ instead of 20€ (Müpa prices).

Today I had the opportunity to book for December 3rd or 4th BFO concert for 1800HUF. This wasn't in my season pass. (Carl Maria von Weber: Oberon – Overture, Grieg: Piano Concerto in A minor, Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 5 with Andrés Orozco-Estrada & Javier Perianes.)

·
Registered
132 Posts
There used to be 10 concerts a season in the Opera. My first concert was there in April 2014. The tickets & season tickets were dirt-cheap.

If You interested in orchestral concerts, I suggest buying a ticket to BFO, Hungarian National PO, Hungarian Radio SO or MÁV SO next time. I can help with HRSO tickets as I pay 800HUF per concerts, and I also can help in Hungarian National PO tickets, I bought tickets for 1500HUF in September. Most orchestral concerts are in Liszt Academy or Müpa, I prefer Liszt Academy. Pannon PO gave a concert a couple days ago in Musikverein, but the best seats were 80€ instead of 20€ (Müpa prices).

Today I had the opportunity to book for December 3rd or 4th BFO concert for 1800HUF. This wasn't in my season pass. (Carl Maria von Weber: Oberon – Overture, Grieg: Piano Concerto in A minor, Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 5 with Andrés Orozco-Estrada & Javier Perianes.)
Thanks for your offer! I'll get back to it when I see something interesting for me (where I also have time). Of course the concert on December 3rd sounds interesting, but I won't have time then.

Also I'll try to combine it with another city tour - for which I'll need 2 nights. The prices look really good, but I'll also have to calculate the train ride and the 2 nights - so that's not such a big advantage for me ;)

Therefore I'll look for either a nice concert in the state opera (loved the location!) or for a special concert in the 2 other locations you mentioned.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts