Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I really enjoy hearing music making use of exotic scales, such as the Phrygian Dominant scale, and other gypsy scales. But I'm having a difficult time finding instrumental music that makes use of these types of scales. I suppose it's music you'd hear in like Aladdin, because it's roots are from the middle-east, but does anyone have any suggestions from classical music? I personally prefer orchastral, but any instrumentation will work fine. The closest things I've been able to find, other than film scores, is Saint-Saens' s fifth Piano Concerto and Rimsky-Korsakov's Sheherazade. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

G

·
Hello everyone. I really enjoy hearing music making use of exotic scales, such as the Phrygian Dominant scale, and other gypsy scales. But I'm having a difficult time finding instrumental music that makes use of these types of scales. I suppose it's music you'd hear in like Aladdin, because it's roots are from the middle-east, but does anyone have any suggestions from classical music? I personally prefer orchastral, but any instrumentation will work fine. The closest things I've been able to find, other than film scores, is Saint-Saens' s fifth Piano Concerto and Rimsky-Korsakov's Sheherazade. Any other suggestions? Thanks.
Try the huge amount of music for the chromatic scale! Schoenberg did cool things with it, but it goes further than that!

· Registered
6,537 Posts
There is Rimsky-Korsakoff's Antar, which is exotic in much the same way as Sheherazade.

Then there are the many works of Shostakovich influenced by Jewish music, the Trio in E minor, the Fourth, Ninth and Tenth String Quartets, and many others, the finales of these works especially.

Reactions: Bevo

· Registered
8,950 Posts
A lot of Spanish music features the Phrygian mode with the raised third, check out some of the famous works by Albeniz and Falla. Ravel's Alborada del Gracioso also uses Phrygian and Phrygian w/ raised third. Sad Birds a piece from the same piano suite (Miroirs) uses Japanese scales.

· Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well thank you all for the responses, but just to clarify, I'm looking specifically for more middle-eastern sounding music, such as Jewish music, and not just "whole tone" or "chromatic" scales. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

· Premium Member
18,779 Posts
Satie's Gnoisiennes use both whole-tone and quasi-Oriental scales, using augmented seconds and fourths. In the first one, the weird scale is pretty noticeable. I think they have a middle-eastern sound, but I think they're really more like Romanian music.

· Registered
703 Posts
A lot of Spanish music features the Phrygian mode with the raised third, check out some of the famous works by Albeniz and Falla. Ravel's Alborada del Gracioso also uses Phrygian and Phrygian w/ raised third. Sad Birds a piece from the same piano suite (Miroirs) uses Japanese scales.
Yeah, the major Phrygian sounds like what the OP is talking about.

Like tdc said, ravel would be a good composer for you to check out, scales derived from the Spanish-Arabic influence are featured fairly frequently in his music. Rachmaninov also has a tendency to use similar-sounding scales but in a very different way. Shockingly, bruckner's 6th symphony is a pretty noteworthy example, the first movement.

The Spanish composers probably use what you're looking for (predictably), maybe try Granados as well as the ones that have already been mentioned. For Jewish-sounding scales or musical gestures.....Bloch comes to mind, esp. Suite hebraique.

You might also be interested in/ looking for the octatonic scale.......early 20th century music by the likes of ravel, Stravinsky, and bartok are pretty big on it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts