Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,022 Posts
An interesting topic!

It is about the same here only in the other way round: You can find more German composers in libraries, but also lots of stuff of other cultural regions. That is only natural if one looks on the history of many libraries: They were often royal and governmantal libraries and this meant they were close related to the princeps and royals, that does mean they collected at first scores from their region and then more and more from others, but the main collection is German, English, French, Italian and Russian.

I find it good in the way, that culture is divided, otherwise all world would get the same mix, that would not be any culture any more. But I think there must be the possibitly to get the stuff from almost all regions: to enjoy, to learn, to study and to play!

Cheers,
Daniel

· Registered
1,022 Posts
Grieg...I love his mixture of northern and classical elements! He is not only the Norwegian composer, he studied in Europe and used the Europian musical-forms to integrate the northern flair. Listen to the Holberg-Suite, one of my absolutely favourites. It is meant old, baroque. But is it really baroque? The titles are the same as in a baroque suite,yes, but you could call the style "norwegian" baroque, I cannot express what I want to say. It is in a style which has not been existed before. It does take you away in a time out of our life ... in nature...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.