Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 463 Posts

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rather than a new thread for each little ditty, I will post all my stuff here from now on.

Here is a completely aleatoric piece atonally, where I used a random generator for the 12 tones for each row, non-repeating. But I set the rhythm manually, and the harmony is dictated by position within the randomly generated rows. The goal is to recreate the sounds of birds in the forest.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting. I think it's possible with the tone rows you have to make it sound more birdlike. But you'd need to mimic the rhythm of birds calls to achieve that. Thanks for sharing!
Ok, here is a revised version, making it sound more like birds for flute, oboe and 2 recorders. The flute and oboe provides the backdrop, while the recorders are the birds closer to the listener.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I varied the tempos between sections to this previous work, which I view as a series of dances, that sound tribal (don't ask me from where, the 2nd sounds middle Eastern), which makes it more interesting and weighty to me than the previous incarnation. Some unusual interval leaps in the melodies.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Ok, here is a piano version, plus I ironed out some wrinkles.

It's very nice. There's a lot of tension. It seems to stay in that top quarter of the keyboard. I think if there was a gradual descent to the middle of the keyboard it would make for nice contrast. That would be my only suggestion. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's very nice. There's a lot of tension. It seems to stay in that top quarter of the keyboard. I think if there was a gradual descent to the middle of the keyboard it would make for nice contrast. That would be my only suggestion. Thanks for sharing!
The bass was too loud and I equalized it, also to reduced the heaviness in the chords, maybe i overdone it. The left hand rarely moved above middle C.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A couple of pieces I did. This is part of an ambient album of a series of similar episodes I plan to make. Was made on Goldwave (free!) recording real-time, although the sounds are purely computer midi generated some some slight modifications.

This little ditty is based on Messaien's 5th mode, which I think a SATB choir sounds better with the disonnances and chromaticisms.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Nice, I'm curious what it sounds like on piano.
Just bland. Eno said ambient music should be trivial enough to be ignored, but still interesting or something.

Here is an updated file with my 3rd track, a quartertonal one for effect. This may be my most commerically viable composition yet, though that is not saying much about the quality of music on the market.

1 - 20 of 463 Posts