Classical Music Forum banner
421 - 440 of 463 Posts

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
... it's only by exhausting possibilities, before an idea to combine things comes to me.It's hard for me to come up with stuff relevant and an interesting progression to what is existing which makes it hard to extend.
The famous quote that is the absolute truth: "Composition is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration"

I'll give your final version a spin later.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #422 · (Edited)
The famous quote that is the absolute truth: "Composition is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration"

I'll give your final version a spin later.
The tough part is when it's only somewhat tonal. A lot could go wrong (and always does, at least for me). Certain notes you think stand out, don't anymore on a fresh hearing, and get muddled. It's a real fine balance. There seem to be very few hard rules. It's what I like, but also what drives me nuts when trying to work it out.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #423 · (Edited)
Check out this version. I felt none of the stuff I added since my early version lived up to the original stuff. So I just started having fun playing around with some little figures from the earlier stuff. I think a few are more easily recognizable, but there may be stuff less recognizable.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #425 · (Edited)
I dunno. I feel the middle part has a different character, and I tried changing it to suit but is not that interesting. I've even tried working with the same sort germs, but it doesn't go anywhere. I'm think the original 1:00 version is the one that does it. I extended it to 1:13 to make it flow better, which I won't bother postimg. There's nothing I was able to come up since either new or reusing the old, that really works in my mind.

An idea could come and strike me later, but I can't actively do something to develop it right now.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #426 ·
Check out this version. I think it's my favourite, with a pseudo-serial segment that is actually tonal. I think I can get away with it, since the structure was never really set.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #427 ·
This is the final version. Integrated the new section better. I do think it's my personal masterpiece. I'm thinking I'll either quit or work on something other than miniatures.

Reactions: nikola

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
This is the final version. Integrated the new section better. I do think it's my personal masterpiece. I'm thinking I'll either quit or work on something other than miniatures.

I would say that sounds like something from cca 1971.. probably French or Italian gangster movie called "Bold Basterds"... there is probably a sequel 35 years later called "Bald Basterds" - less bold, more 'peed in the pants', but still basterds!
I do like it :tiphat:

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #429 · (Edited)
Thanks, I think. I still found it too literal (another bad tendency of mine) in the new part and near the end, and fixed it up since. I won't bother reposting, since I'm sure everyone is tired of it.

What the heck. Here it is. Strangely enough (to me at least), it seems to work better when it's more fragmented. I guess it's more post-modern?

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #430 · (Edited)
Sorry for the obscene number of posts on a short piece. I do have a question on the notation. I'm not sure if I should have the left hand as tuplets as currently here, or should the right hand be tuplets and change the time signature. I do feel a sort of 2 beat per bar, but it seems to have a lot of tuplets. The part in the middle doesn't have tuplets on either hand, so that is why I have it as it is currently. Or could I use a different time signature on a different staff? I think I've seen Ligeti or someone do that before.

I know the tempo is not standard metronome, it's a bit of a gimmick on using metric.

Rectangle Slope Line Font Music

Here is a final more polished version, with better rhythms in the middle.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #431 ·
^ I think I solved it by taking out the tuplet in the first half of the 3rd bar and used regular 16th notes instead. The ear doesn't really sense much of a difference, and it is simpler to play, and adds a bit of rhythmic variety at the same time.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #432 ·
Here is a new piece I did today. Not very serious. I maybe shouldn't give it a number.

Added a lead in to the last part for the No. 4, to make it flow better. Considering how much time I spent just adding stuff piece meal, I doubt I'll be getting into longer forms, although I've been looking at some works how the masters did it.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #434 ·
Phil, when will you stop studying and start to work on your real musical masterpiece? We're waiting for a symphony... or at least a sonata.
Just for you Nikola. I took like a week to flesh out just a few parts, and polish this up. I think it's extensive enough to be a mini Sonata movement, and longer than some sonatina movements.

Like I keep bi*ching, I'm not going to go torture myself to do another, let alone make something longer. I think I do want to do a more extensive slower piece.

Reactions: nikola

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #436 · (Edited)
that's a cool piece Phil...onto the next mvt. please. Nikola's right, no more dicking around.
Although, If it was mine, I'd add a little extra line between 30"-45" as it felt a little like groping around to me, a top line might give it more of a sense of purpose. I love the nicely controlled faster lines that follow.
Great idea. I added something in the middle voicing, rather than top, since I didn't want to change the melody. No more movements for me. Just going to dick around from here out.

I changed the rhythms and added more articulations to the middle part of #4, had to make some sort of progression I figured. Added a repeat and changed a few things to #5.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Just for you Nikola. I took like a week to flesh out just a few parts, and polish this up. I think it's extensive enough to be a mini Sonata movement, and longer than some sonatina movements.

Like I keep bi*ching, I'm not going to go torture myself to do another, let alone make something longer. I think I do want to do a more extensive slower piece.

Very interesting and even exciting piece to listen to.

421 - 440 of 463 Posts