Classical Music Forum banner
441 - 460 of 463 Posts

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #441 ·
Clean it up further (actually I think I made a bigger mess the last time in some ways). At this point it's just a musical puzzle I'm working out.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #442 ·
Here is a new piece. I basically transcribed some piece for strings I did before with a tone row, and changed the rhythms a bit, and did fixed some of the voicing and tempo. Easily my best new piece in a while I think.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #444 ·
Trying to find a new direction in music. Lately been kind of spotty. I played around with some more conventional stuff with this new piece.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #445 · (Edited)
I think it was definitely a mistake with the crescendo on such a small scale, which raises expectation to something more grandiose and virtuosic. Here I played with the dynamics to subdue the drama. Some stuff I still can't get right, but I think I'm not that interested in spending more time on it.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #448 ·
Looking a bit beyond each individual piece, I resequenced the studies to make the best of the variety and contrast. One of them didn't really belong with the others, which I left aside. Also some tweaks over some clunky parts. This is my first, and likely last completed 'work'. I really haven't been missing the grind.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #451 ·
Here is a new piece i did last couple of days. I believe the last part is technically possible to play, but could be tough.

Sounds good to me -- it builds well. I would have to see the left hand notes be able to tell whether they lie in a way that is manageable.
Thanks Roger. I slowed it down a bit since and added a few more left hand patterns, and more confident it can be played (I think even I can possibly do it now, but I just have a very slow learning curve in learning new pieces). I think I'll be adding a few slower pieces for better contrast with the faster ones, and will have to resequence my 'short studies' sort of like an album.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #452 ·
Here's probably my craziest piece. The first part was more conventionally jazzy at first, but I changed it around. I was working with my last piece as a starting point, and just put together the 3 parts together, since I thought it flowed into each other sort of well.

Reactions: ollv

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sounds interesting and unexpected. Maybe it would increase the crazyness level if the rhythm would vary in the middle part. But that's only my personal opinion as a rhythm fanatic ;-)

Maybe the rhythm was your stylistic choice by purpose and I just didn't get it.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #454 · (Edited)
Here is my first piano sonata (or suite) of the year ;) With the last piece everything seemed to click together for me, and I was able to fix stray tones or slippage in parts for the other 'movements', and it seems to work as a transition piece between the first and 3rd movements which otherwise have nothing to do with each other.

The only question is is it a sonata or suite? I think it's not light enough to be a suite, and is now more cohesive than a set of 4 studies. And I structured it as an Allegro - Largo- Andante - Presto movement structure. (And at a bit under 8' is now much longer than say Ginastera's 3rd piano sonata)

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Not bad at all Phil. I liked much of the the first part and especially the 3rd mvt. The term 'sonata' is flexible these days so I'd call it that given the 3 mvt. structure.

What would really help your music now imv would be to bring in some more idiomatic writing, rather than lines which can tend to dryness (although I'm personally ok with, and appreciate/enjoy the acsetic nature of music like this). It's not easy to write idiomatically if you are not a pianist I know, but there are plenty of works out there you could study for pianism and finger invention and then incorporate into your writing.

I linked this recently in another thread which you might enjoy. If you get the chance take a listen and in particular, pay attention to how the inventive approach to technical motors keeps the music fresh and gives impetus. You could perhaps model pieces on the techniques here.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #456 · (Edited)
I think the weakest link in the sonata is the 2nd movement which other than the intro was seriously under-realized. Here is an improved version. I do know I have an unhealthy obsession on the lower range of the piano, which I try to balance out, but may need to revisit some parts, especially using the left hand like a bass guitar.

BTW, Mike, I thought I posted a 4 movement sonata instead of 3? Haha.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #457 · (Edited)
I listened to Benjamin's Piano Figures, and reviewed my 'sonata' again, and fixed some more stagnant parts pianistically by adding more register and range, but come to think that overall my aim is not really to do pure Classical, but some sort of polystylistic or alternative Classical thing, especially in the slower movements. I just can't let go of those bass figures hehe.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #458 ·
Check this out. I hit the reset button, and went back to modify an older study, which was still pretty much sketch at the time. It is slightly serial, as in I used a transposition and 1 sixteenth note phase shift and the rest went by some standard sort of voice leading rules and lots of tweaks here and there.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #460 · (Edited)
Here is an attempt at a piano suite. I think the middle movement is clearly the highlight (which I think I perfected in this version, except the software wouldn't support a half pedal) and the others are more just there.

Here is a Satieish sort of piece just for fun.

441 - 460 of 463 Posts