Classical Music Forum banner
81 - 100 of 124 Posts

· Premium Member
14,081 Posts

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 · (Edited)
About Naxos being much better at chamber music than orchestral music; I believe that has changed a lot through the years. Naxos has replaced many of their older orchestral recordings with new superior recordings, Brahms' and Dvorák's symphonies being a good example. Since we are at the subject of Brahms and Dvorák, I really enjoyed Marin Alsop's take on their symphonies. Any one else agree? Naxos did an excellent job on Shostakovich as well. Another example is Mozart's Horn Concertos which they have released 3 times now, first in the late 80's, than late 90's and in 2007 they released the best recording of these great Concertos yet. They have also re-recorded many of the baroque "standards" and are using period instruments in some of those. They released a complete orchestral works of Bach some time ago which I am totally in love with. They also replaced Holst's "The Planets years ago with a fantastic recording, so much better than their first, rather poor attempt. Their re-release of Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherezade (I only discovered this work recently) is also much better than their older one. There are many more examples of course.

· Registered
29,890 Posts
Well if anyone is interested in building a respectable library of twentieth century American music, Naxos is the way to go.
Nothing to do with price. They are simply the best at resurrecting a lot of worthy American music. Their Schuman symphonies, Creston Symphonies, etc; Terrific commitment by Naxos!

81 - 100 of 124 Posts