Classical Music Forum banner
101 - 120 of 124 Posts

· Premium Member
14,069 Posts
Good question, and without delving too deep I would say probably no as 20th century A-list conductors tended to be associated with equally A-list orchestras and together they usually recorded with the major labels or equally famous 'national' labels such as Supraphon and Melodiya. As ever, I'd be pleased to be advised otherwise. :)

· Registered
93 Posts
"Since we are at the subject of Brahms and Dvorák, I really enjoyed Marin Alsop's take on their symphonies. Any one else agree?"

I find Alsop's tempos in the Brahms' symphonies to be way too slow for my taste. I grew up with the Steinberg and Szell Brahms symphonies and both of them, especially Steinberg, made the music move. Playing Brahms too slow is like adding sugar to orange juice. It is already sweet enough. Just my opinion.

· Registered
16,666 Posts
As far as i know : no, they only steal/ borough records from other companies.
This is not correct. Naxos discs are (or were) recorded often in Eastern Europe where recording could be done cheaply with artists paid a flat rate. There are also recordings by good but lesser known artists - Benjamin Frith comes to mind. There are great recordings from other labels but they are more than 50 years old and copyrite has expired.

· Senior Moderator
I DON'T BELIEVE IT!
43,042 Posts
There are great recordings from other labels but they are more than 50 years old and copyrite has expired.
I doubt that recordings of say the period 1950-1966 are no longer copyrighted. There are plenty of legendary recordings from that time which I do not see appear on any label but the original one (e.g. Solti's Ring).

· Registered
3,393 Posts
I doubt that recordings of say the period 1950-1966 are no longer copyrighted. There are plenty of legendary recordings from that time which I do not see appear on any label but the original one (e.g. Solti's Ring).
Copyright laws vary by country. The U.S. copyright protection laws are longer than the E.U. Most of the Naxos historical material can't be purchased or downloaded here

· Registered
2,329 Posts
Actually, some of the earlier Naxos orchestral recordings of Dvorak and other 19th century composers are pretty good . I like the authentic eastern European sound of of their Slovak Philharmonic recordings with conductors such as Zdenek Kosler, Stephen Gunzenhasen, Michael Halasz and others ; conductors who aren't superstars but are still excellent and have a lot to offer musically .
If you can still find the Naxos CD of the sadly neglected "Slavonic Rhapsodies " with Kosler and Libor Pesek conducting , grab it ! It's sleeper !

· Registered
933 Posts
So with Naxos being on sale at Presto I was going to start a thread asking for some good recordings on that label, but found this thread instead. Besides Maggini, Alsop's Brahms, Petrenko's Manfred and Slatki's Rach 2 does anyone have any suggestions here in 2020?

I look at the catalog and see a lot of composers, performers and conductors that I am not familiar with.

Reactions: Comity

· Registered
1,128 Posts
So with Naxos being on sale at Presto I was going to start a thread asking for some good recordings on that label, but found this thread instead. Besides Maggini, Alsop's Brahms, Petrenko's Manfred and Slatki's Rach 2 does anyone have any suggestions here in 2020?

I look at the catalog and see a lot of composers, performers and conductors that I am not familiar with.
They have a great performance of Beethoven's FIdelio and I have their complete set of Beethoven/Schnabel sonatas. They did a fairly good job remastering these old performances and get good reviews elsewhere. I also bought their complete set of Sibelius incidental music. I'm less familiar with Sibelius's discography and so can't really compare, but I've enjoyed the sound and performances so far.

· Registered
15,666 Posts

I like the Robert Craft series on Stravinsky (the single CD The Greek Ballets is excellent) and Schoenberg. Also the Peter Hill recording of the solo piano music of Schoenberg, Berg and Webern is also very good.

View attachment 146260

View attachment 146261

101 - 120 of 124 Posts