Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
... First of all,what is “British” “English””Scotland(I’m still trying to figure out the difference between Scotch and Scottish(so)
For what it's worth I'll just mention that John Kenneth Galbraith, a Canadian economist who became a professor at Harvard, wrote a little semi-autobiographical book called "The Scotch" about the people in southwestern Ontario north of Lake Erie. They were descended from Scottish settlers and called themselves Scotch as did Galbraith. Is "Scotch" a North Americanism when applied to people?

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Not aware of his ancestry; my understanding is that 'Lyn Murray' was his professional name.
Very little of his music made it onto commercial albums - and half of these are out-of-print.
Don't know of any concert works, but if you don't mind lightweight jazziness Murray's Wives & Lovers is available: Who's Been Sleeping in My Bed? / Wives and Lovers - Quartet Records

Samples on his 3 segments for THE TIME TUNNEL are perhaps the best way to get into Lyn's dramatic writing: THE TIME TUNNEL – VOL 1: LIMITED EDITION (3-CD SET) (lalalandrecords.com)

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Strange, I can't think of a British expatriate composer in Canada since the death of Derek Holman in 2019, a sadly neglected and underrated composer.

Now that you've tweaked my interest, I think I'll find some time to provide a bit more on Derek Holman who was highly-regarded by musicians who worked with him. Over the years there have of course been many fine composers in Canada who were born in Britain. I can't believe there are none now and will look into this question more thoroughly.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
I wouldn't say it's a difficult concept, not if you avoid being overly forensic and treat it as a conversation enabler, rather an attempt at discovering universal truths ;)
("It" = "neglected") ... very well put! We have "neglected composers," and "unheralded composers," and there are quite a few other terms around. I too use "neglected" in the broad sense, not for truly obscure composers. But really the point is to be understood whatever word you use. And as you imply conversation in that spirit is more to be valued than aggressive hairsplitting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts