Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
3,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What band is better, well before i enjoy joy division more but later on became a new order ''fan''
especially movement album, what about you guys?

:tiphat:

· Premium Member
14,072 Posts
Joy Division for ever. I can take New Order in small doses but much prefer JDs harsher, monochrome soundworld. And although the band didn't like it as being unrepresentative I thought Martin Hannett's production (especially on Closer) added that extra layer of gloominess which gave the music its unique character.

Had Curtis lived perhaps they'd have morphed into New Order all bar the name anyway.

· Registered
9,759 Posts
Haven't heard either band.... I assume punk music like Black Flag?

· Premium Member
14,072 Posts
Haven't heard either band.... I assume punk music like Black Flag?
Polar opposites, really - Joy Division were a bleak, inward-looking pre-goth band and New Order were more accessible verging on pop at times

· Premium Member
14,072 Posts
Reactions: TurnaboutVox

· Registered
4,977 Posts
I used to like Joy Division (I wasn't a diehard fan, but a friend had all of the albums), but when he got the New Order albums, I stopped listening. I still think that Joy Division are pretty good, but their albums are rather spotty, with only about 3-4 good tracks per album. I think that if you took the best tracks off all of their albums—was it 2 or 3?—then you'd have one really good one.

· Banned
4,313 Posts
I used to like Joy Division (I wasn't a diehard fan, but a friend had all of the albums), but when he got the New Order albums, I stopped listening. I still think that Joy Division are pretty good, but their albums are rather spotty, with only about 3-4 good tracks per album. I think that if you took the best tracks off all of their albums-was it 2 or 3?-then you'd have one really good one.
They only cut two albums as Joy Division and they were both good. That being said, the best rock albums were cut by captain beefheart and the velvet underground. Everything else in rock is disposable.

· Registered
163 Posts
I started listening to Joy Division in jr. high in the late '80s and still do on occasion when the mood strikes. They have a unique style and sound that no other band has ever come close to. It touches my soul and makes me wanna dance like a zombie getting hit by lightning bolts.

I've always found New Order a bit to poppy for my taste, but then again I've never given their albums a chance, only basing my opinion on the songs that played on the radio back then. Perhaps I've been missing out on something special all this time.

G

·
Joy Division. Came too late to appreciate them while Curtis was alive, and in any case, was a diehard Southerner and jazz rock fan at the time, so wouldn't have paid any attention to them when they first emerged. Once I was on the dole and split from my girlfriend at the time, their miserable outlook was perfect: Closer had just been released. I moved to Manchester, and saw New Order live at the Hacienda. They were still 'dark' and 'Everything's Gone Green' was never off my turntable...

When I got married, and they became more optimistic and poppy, I moved elsewhere.

· Registered
1,517 Posts
Another vote for Joy Division here.

I actually was a bit young for them, but had some older friends, and I remember the buzz, the astonishment, the talking when Ian Curtis died in 1980. The early eighties were pretty grim, Thatcher, Lubbers, huge unemployment, no future. They wrote the soundtrack.
Inspiration for their name is as grim as it gets.

1,191 Posts
I'm going to cheat here and state my case that I believe they are the same band, just a continuum. You already see the seeds of New Order in Closer, with the ever greater incorporation of synthesizers into their sound. It is no coincidence that Ceremony was both a Joy Division and New Order song (you can hear Ian Curtis singing it live on the Still album). The synthesizers that heavily featured in Love Will Tear Us Apart, along with Peter Hook's bass, were iconic and created the continuity. That is why after Technique, they really started going downhill, as Barney started exerting more control and removing more and more of that bass. Movement was a momentary blip, as they were trying to regain their footing, but Power, Corruption and Lies is a brilliant album, and I would put it up with Unknown Pleasures and Closer.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.