Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious about this; it's not a big deal. :tiphat:

When I post a comment, the thread shows up in the NEW POSTS list right away, but when I make a post in a thread I've created, it's invisible (doesn't show up) in that list; that is, the site doesn't recognize it as being a post with a new comment, even though a comment in someone else's thread is recognized.

Is it a setting in the thread I created?

·
Super Moderator
30,568 Posts
You lost me at "it's not a big deal".

Seriously, I thought the New Posts button would list all the posts you personally had not seen yet. So it would make sense if none of your posts show up there, because you already saw them. Indeed, when I click that button now, none of my posts made in the past three hours show up. So I'm puzzled why you see your posts there at all?

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You lost me at "it's not a big deal".

Seriously, I thought the New Posts button would list all the posts you personally had not seen yet. So it would make sense if none of your posts show up there, because you already saw them. Indeed, when I click that button now, none of my posts made in the past three hours show up. So I'm puzzled why you see your posts there at all?
Me too.

Sometimes they do. Perhaps they become "new" when someone else "Likes" a post in a thread.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
In the past whenever I replied to a thread if I went back to "New posts" it never showed up but I have just replied to (Novax Jokeavich) and then went back to new posts and it showed up showing me as last poster... ?

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In the past whenever I replied to a thread if I went back to "New posts" it never showed up but I have just replied to (Novax Jokeavich) and then went back to new posts and it showed up showing me as last poster... ?
Yep, that's what I'm talking about. Sometimes it does, and sometimes it doesn't, although it ALWAYS DOESN'T in the thread I created.

·
Administrator
11,936 Posts
I have occasionally seen the effect of posting and soon after seeing my post listed under new posts. I'm not sure why that happens, but vBulletin has several effects that I don't understand.

·
Administrator
5,088 Posts
This forum, like most others, is simply put, a database of information. Within this are database tables where various entered information is stored. There are many database tables and it may take an unspecified amount of time for all those tables to talk to each other and update as required.

The vBulletin software runs and/or rebuilds database tables on a random schedule ... If the TC server is busy there might be a delay ... if the hosting service server(s) is(are) busy that could effect processing times.

Periodically I have to manually run a table update after making some particular setting changes or permission changes. It's all part of my daily routine here.

There is a forum software update coming in the future - I do not know when this will occur, so we keep putting bandages here and there to stop the 1's and 0's from oozing out onto the floor.

Things also go bump in the night too. We've had a major glitch for months that, somehow, without any intervention, went away. My only explanation is that a stray stream of binary code finally found its way home ... :rolleyes:.

·
Super Moderator
30,568 Posts
The New Posts feature requires the search engine to run. It has been switched off temporarily in order to have the board run without the problems we've seen recently:

The search engine has been temporarily disabled due to the technical difficulties the site has experienced, but it will be re-enabled soon!

·
Super Moderator
30,568 Posts
It has been a few weeks since I could view any "new posts". Any news on when this will be fixed?
I moved your post here since we already have a thread on this. The site owner is working on the problem. The new posts feature was switched off to enable the board to function again (and that clearly worked), but the plan is to go to a solution that allows switching the New Posts button back on. Meanwhile, one can use the What's New button as a substitute.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I moved your post here since we already have a thread on this. The site owner is working on the problem. The new posts feature was switched off to enable the board to function again (and that clearly worked), but the plan is to go to a solution that allows switching the New Posts button back on. Meanwhile, one can use the What's New button as a substitute.
We appreciate the efforts being made, but What's New is not the same as New Posts.
It's just a poor substitute.
What's New list may show two or more posts from the same thread if they are new, whereas New Posts list was showing the threads with new posts.

Anyway, we show patience and we are waiting for the best!
:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts