Classical Music Forum banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

· Registered
7,156 Posts
Wonderfully accessible works.

You also found the limit of 5 for Youtube videos you can embed in a single comment.

I'm reminded of the wonderfully diverse collection of LPs my mom had when I was a kid.

I instantly fell in love with our recording of Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture and Capriccio Italean. We also had Holst's The Planets.

· Registered
3,324 Posts
Not advanced but long and tedious. But someone asking questions like the threadstarter most likely has heard the shortish "potboilers" like Peer Gynt suite, sabre dance or whatnot. So a colorful orchestral spectacular like Sheherazade is not a bad suggestions, despite the length.

· Registered
7,156 Posts
I'm highly skeptical of those who call this a beginners' piece or something like 'a piece that got them into classical.' Really? That baffles my mind and I frankly doubt this was responsible for getting them into classical. This is an advanced piece.
Mmmm, I think it's both. While Schererazade is a complex work, it's also instantly accessible. Beautiful, melodic, pleasant.

· Registered
1,767 Posts
@aesthetiszt here two pieces of Mendelssohn.

Concerto for Piano and Violin in D minor

Symphony No. 4

Now, I can not give you a exhaustive list of pieces. I simpy reccomend to listen to all the pieces of Mozart and Mendelssohn, my favourite composers.

Also listen to all orchestral works of Beethoven (Violin Concerto, Piano Concerto 1-5, Symphony 1-9).

· Registered
1,767 Posts
Other orchestral works of Beethoven that you don't find in the famous series.

Egmont - Overture

Ruins of Athens - Schmückt die Altäre

Name Day Overture

Overtüre (Die Weihe des Hauses)

· Registered
Hector Berlioz
86 Posts
I'll give you two recommendations; both of which are quite similar in that they fit the bill of a so-called "organ symphony," tho the organ has a nice partnership with the orchestral texture in both. I'll add in a an organ concerto, as well as a piece that kinda fits in between!

Forgive me! I have a strong bias for organ/orchestra combos and these four are amongst the most accessible imo.

Symphony #3 "Organ" by Camille Saint-Saens

Symphony #3 for Organ and Orchestra by Charles-Marie Widor

Concerto for Organ, String, and Timpani by Francis Poulenc

Symphonie Concertante for Organ and Orchestra by Joseph Jongen

· Registered
348 Posts
Wonderfully accessible works.

You also found the limit of 5 for Youtube videos you can embed in a single comment.

I'm reminded of the wonderfully diverse collection of LPs my mom had when I was a kid.

I instantly fell in love with our recording of Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture and Capriccio Italean. We also had Holst's The Planets.
Yes, when I try to introduce people to classical music, I try to remember the first works that really grabbed my ear and thrilled me. My father is a classical music fanatic so I had access to an amazing library of LP's and I can still remember many of the pieces that were highly "accessible", to use your term. The 1812 overture was definitely another. And The Planets. And also Rimsky-Korsakov's "Scheherezade."

I also believe the film "Amadeus" is a wonderful way to introduce people to classical music and how to listen to it and love it. That was the first time I heard Mozart's Requiem and it blew my mind.

· Registered
194 Posts
Hi all, just joined the forum! I have just started getting into classical music over the past year, and could use some suggestions from the experienced folks out there. I've been researching the lives and most popular works of the more famous composers (Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Vivaldi, Liszt, Dvorak, Chopin, Haydn, Wagner, Schubert, etc.), but that has only opened my mind to how much is really out there. I feel like I've barely been able to scratch the surface and am just starting to understand what I like and why. I suppose my question is - What are a few of your absolute favorite pieces that you could not live without?... because it's very possible I am currently living without them!

For reference, I'm still focusing more on the Baroque, Classical, and Romantic periods at this time; I plan to do more exploration on the 19th and 20th century pieces after I develop more of a bass in the deeper history.

Thanks for your help!
Violin - Itzhak Perlman:

Ravel - Tzigane
Saint-Saens - Havanaise
Sarasate - Carmen Fantasy
Lalo - Symphonie Espagnole

All available on one album. Nothing compares.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts