Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
What affects me more than the minimalistic staging, is the singing in that trailer. Stemme has had an extremely wide vibrato for years now, and if the clips they selected are representative of Seiffert's full performance, Tristan sounds more than a size too big for him. I'll pass on this one.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
It's ok.. It's ok.. With Wagner, when all else fails, you still have the orchestra.
Sadly, if the singing is duff then you have an epic fail on your hands. Man cannot live by accompaniment alone, frequently there must also be a vocal line!:)

This is inadequate on so many levels.

·
Registered
19,669 Posts
It's ok.. It's ok.. With Wagner, when all else fails, you still have the orchestra.
I suspect that Wagner, who went to the trouble of researching medieval romances and Norse mythology, writing librettos in multiple drafts over periods of years, and having a theater built to give proper performances of his works, would not be comforted by the thought that at least his orchestra was still playing the notes he wrote. But you do have a point, and for those disillusioned with what's happened to Wagnerian singing and theatrical production, there are still the many overtures, preludes, interludes, and arrangements such as the following synthesis of love music from Tristan. It's beautifully performed, and I can't recommend it too highly:

·
Registered
19,669 Posts
Lol, that's very adorable of you, Mr. Woodduck. Btw, my comment was a reference to ideas like
I doubt that there are any ideas "like" that. Wagner and his friend were at a rehearsal, his score was new, and he was proud of it. He wanted his friend to hear what he had accomplished. For all we know, what was going on onstage was still a work in progress.

Context matters, even in pointless discussions like this one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts