Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

· Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another one of those "German Russians" along with Anton Rubinstein, Sergei Taneyev, and (the alter-ego of) Tchaikovsky that wrote much in the vein of Brahms. I've been enwrapped in his music for a couple days straight and am starting to fear for my health.

I can't get enough of Medtner. When I first heard him, he was hard to follow, much like Taneyev, due to the lack of distinct melodic lines. Now I think the complexity of his music is fantastic, especially his piano works. Sonata Romantica, Reminiscenza, and Minacciosa are a few of my favorites. For those who can't swallow piano music, his 3 piano concerti are fantastic and much reflect Rachmaninoff's four. He also wrote a piano quintet and a few violin sonatas.

I've started to collect some Medtner as I have acquired a few of Gilels' recordings (fantastic, by the way, and highly recommended), but I hope also to get some of Hamelin's, Tozer's, and Moseiwitsch's (as well as the rare ones of Medtner himself).

Anyways, I hope there's a few Medtner fans out there. :)

· Registered
8,030 Posts
I have only the piano concertos numbers 1 and 3 released on Naxos, Vladimir Ziva / Moscow Symphony Orchestra, Konstantin Scherbakov, piano. They are very fine indeed, though I would not have noticed a Rachmaninoff connection. Maybe on further listening.

· Registered
12,278 Posts
I remember hearing some of his works on radio, in a program devoted to his music. I can remember that it defintely sounded quite distinct, it wasn't like any other Russians of the period whose music I know.

I also remember an interveiw with pianist Marc-Andre Hamlelin on radio recently, who has recorded some Medtner. He talked about how the complexity & length of Medtner's music meant that it was somewhat neglected before the coming of the LP. He actually said that we have become more serious listeners, which means there is now a market for this type of muisc, whereas before WW2, people were mainly interested in hearing miniatures for the piano. It was uncommon in those days for a recital to include a sonata or something long like that, people liked shorter works. Nowadays, it's the opposite, we are drawn in by something that's complex and long...

· Registered
4 Posts
comparatively speaking,I prefer to listen the record of Gilels.im currently playing his sonata op.22 and op.5 and forgotten melodies op.38,i feel very tired playing his works,but never got such a feeling when playing others' composition,cuz the most complex structure i've ever seen,at least i do think so.my sister bought me a book about his life and music recently,wanna collect any article,book,dissertation,record about him.last year the book so-called "Николай Метнер:Вопрос Биографии и Творчества" was published in Moscow,but I have no chance to go to Moscow again recently.and actually my Russian skill gradually go backward...expect English version

Anyone ever take a look at his Knight Errant For Two Pianos?
Knight Errant is my favorite!!!

· Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i feel very tired playing his works,but never got such a feeling when playing others' composition
Very curious. I have the exact same feeling when I play Medtner - his works are a test of stamina for any pianist. It doesn't help that I'm playing the 2nd Dithryamb from the op. 10 set: one of the most self-absorbed, sprawling work of his (with a corpulently unbalanced intro, if you know what I mean).

· Registered
9,510 Posts
I've started to collect some Medtner as I have acquired a few of Gilels' recordings (fantastic, by the way, and highly recommended), but I hope also to get some of Hamelin's, Tozer's, and Moseiwitsch's (as well as the rare ones of Medtner himself).

Anyways, I hope there's a few Medtner fans out there. :)
The recordings of Medtner playing his own works were made near the end of his life. He was ill, and his technique greatly deteriorated. He made the recordings because he badly needed the money. You should save yours.

:cool:

· Registered
8,404 Posts
This time I'm curious though. I promise, no angry bickering. Can you elaborate? It obviously doesn't strike you whereas it does me, what about it seems "not much to you". I think that if it were naked, if you were to just hum the tune without the harmony flashing through your head, it would seem less impressive, but I love the construction of the piece and what it does with this striking pattern.

I was hoping though that some other Medtner lovers would get to see this piece and be impressed with its emotional content as played on the violin. I really find it a stunning piece.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts