Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
There is no Bellini on your list.
Try Norma, it is popular, but it can be ruined if sung badly. Go for Callas or Montserat Caballe.
Also la Sonnambula is quite popular, but it is kind of slow and dreamy, so you should judge yourself if you are in a mood to explore something like this.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Bellini: Il Pirata

IMaybe I deviated away from your specification a little. You wanted a popular piece, and this one is played rarely, but I honestly do not know why, except maybe the difficult singing. It is by Bellini, but not as lyrical and slow as his other ones. It is quite swift, the tempo resembles more Donizetti or young Verdi rather than later Bellini himself. And obviously melodical, that is guarranteed with Bellini. It opens up with a tempest, and some believe, it inspired Verdi and his opening of Othello. There is also my favourite tenor aria at the beginning, which is in pollonaise rhythm, "Nel furror delle tempeste". Plus there is a famous finale for the soprano, the mad scene, "Col sorrizo d innocenza".

I bought a recent recording, which won awards last year. I bought not a physical CD, but an online download, which was cheaper. The interprets are Javier Cammarena and Marina Rebeka. On the website Presto music, you can hear short previews of this recording and decide. Recording with Callas exists as well, but incomplete, it is on youtube somewhere.

·
Registered
310 Posts
There are many. First, old recordings:
1) Siepi, Cerquetti, Barbieri, Lo Forese, Bastianini.
2) Ghiaurov, Tebaldi, Bumbry, Bergonzi, Fischer-Diskau, Talvela. Conducted by Solti.
3) Siepi, Regal, Bjorling, Barbieri, Merill, Hines. Conducted by Stiedry. All without Fontainebleau act. I don't know which to advise, such a cast is unaffordable nowadays.
On video there are productions from 1970-s from Choregies d'Orange with Caballe, Estes, Bumbry, Aragall, relatively modern from ROH with Furlanetto, Poplavskaya, Villazon, Ganassi, Keenlyside, La Scala - Furlanetto, Cedolins, Zajick, Neal and Salzburg - Salminen, Kaufmann, Harteros, Semenchuk. Last one is longest ever, in five akts. I've seen it live in La Scala with Furlanetto, Stoyanova, Semenchuk and Meli. So, there are shows for every taste.
Which opera was this about ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts