Classical Music Forum banner
201 - 219 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
There needs to be another besides the Bolton ENO. I started collecting opera videos 35 years ago in the dismal days of VHS. Maybe one in seven would play without flaws of one sort or another. I now have several hundred blu ray recordings and had come to think that a new day had arrived but.... Now I see one after another dropping out of the collection as some refuse to play any longer; another freezes up that was erstwhile smooth; another skips ahead to overcome some impasse that has lately arisen.There is that which doesn't love opera videos. From what I understand there are a couple of labels that have fallen short on the quality of manufacture which causes some breakdown in the materials, which results in some deterioration of playback, which occasions some returns, all of which contribute to much disappointment. The physical recording of sight and sound is also more rewarding to the touch than an ethereal stream of data bits though the wireless. But then, that's probably far from perfect too.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I got $205 in gift cards from friends for my birthday, and went on a shopping spree today.
I got:

Thomas' Hamlet - DVD
Verdi's Stiffelio - DVD
Rossini's La Gazzeta (Blu-ray)
Cherubini's Medea - DVD
Gallupi's L'Olimpiade - DVD
Rameau's Les Boreades - DVD
Gluck's Alceste - DVD
Halevy's Clary - DVD
Zandonai's Francesca da Rimini - DVD
Rossini's Stabat Mater (not an opera) - CD

$6 left. I think I did well!:D
If that's the Hamlet with Stephane Degout I'd love to hear if it matches its rave reviews.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thoughts on this relatively new, audio-only recording of Cavalleria rusticana / Pagliacci?

Human Guitar accessory Font Music Entertainment
Font Poster Advertising Photo caption Event

Grazer Philarmoniker / Chor der Oper Graz
Conducted by Oksana Lyniv

Cavalleria rusticana
Santuzza - Ezgi Kutlu
Turiddu - Aldo di Toro
Mamma Lucia - Cheryl Studer
Alfio - Audun Iversen
Lola - Mareike Jankowski

Pagliacci
Canio - Aldo di Toro
Nedda - Aurelia Florian
Tonio - Audun Iversen
Beppo - Martin Fournier
Silvio - Neven Canić

·
Registered
32,354 Posts
Thoughts on this relatively new, audio-only recording of Cavalleria rusticana / Pagliacci?

View attachment 152569 View attachment 152570

Grazer Philarmoniker / Chor der Oper Graz
Conducted by Oksana Lyniv

Cavalleria rusticana
Santuzza - Ezgi Kutlu
Turiddu - Aldo di Toro
Mamma Lucia - Cheryl Studer
Alfio - Audun Iversen
Lola - Mareike Jankowski

Pagliacci
Canio - Aldo di Toro
Nedda - Aurelia Florian
Tonio - Audun Iversen
Beppo - Martin Fournier
Silvio - Neven Canić
I believe it's just out, another one coming, Elīna Garanča/ Jonas Kaufmann

·
Banned
7,952 Posts
Mendelssohn's only full scale example, Die Hochzeit des Camacho (1824/25),

Reactions: SixFootScowl

·
Registered
15,737 Posts

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
The Flood, exactly!
There is Sypnosis section on their web page (click to expand), check it out for details.

All in all, this boxset looks very tempting.
Aren't they reissues of previous Opera Rara releases? They may no longer be available (at least new), but I would prefer the original sets with the full notes and librettos.

N.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Aren't they reissues of previous Opera Rara releases? They may no longer be available (at least new), but I would prefer the original sets with the full notes and librettos.

N.
Looks like this reissue comes with 32-page booklet, which is not that impressive. Original Opera Rara's booklets are worth having especially if you have some extra shelf space. Some of their earlier boxsets command very high prices second hand, I'm glad I managed to get many for my collection, namely the Dom Sebastien, Roi di Portugal, which was hard to find at reasonable price/condition.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Looks like this reissue comes with 32-page booklet, which is not that impressive. Original Opera Rara's booklets are worth having especially if you have some extra shelf space. Some of their earlier boxsets command very high prices second hand, I'm glad I managed to get many for my collection, namely the Dom Sebastien, Roi di Portugal, which was hard to find at reasonable price/condition.
Yes! I too had the issue with the Dom Sebastien. It wasn't a set I had much interest in (despite its fine cast) when it was released. However, a friend played it to me and so I wanted to buy it and it was only available second hand and at a huge cost on Amazon. I finally got a good second hand set in good condition at an ok price. I went on quite an Opera Rara drive about a year ago, mostly getting their Rossini sets, but also a few of the Pacini ones (I really like Pacini).

N.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just read this. Granate, you are not alone.
I'm feeling very odd. I checked out that Fritz Kobus, in his ongoing Wagner purchases, has clicked on a Holländer recording I appreciate: the Konwitschny 1960 in Berlin for Electrola, reissued by Brilliant. It's a tad cheap. So in my endless wait for the Muti Macbeth, I checked out the prices of the Konwitschny Tannhäuser and the Knappertsbusch stereo Parsifal (1962), and they have low prices in the marketplace in Amazon UK (14€ and 17€ delivery included). I would have liked to buy one of them, but I remember that I haven't even touched the Barenboim TUI because I'm insanely busy with opera challenges and Beethoven Symphony episodes reviewing 8 cycles in each one.

I need patience because probably in 5 years time I have already finished testing all the orchestral and operatic discography. I don't enjoy music, I enjoy comparing, and it's like I'm buying CDs for watching on my shelf instead of playing them. The thing now is that I'm not liking at all this Beethoven Symphony episode I'm in and I'm finding out I could like Beethoven Symphonies even less than many operas. Decision: no purchase.

I hope to be wrong and like more symphonic composers out of Bruckner, Mahler and Sibelius, but I see myself in the future with a single shelf full of opera recordings and no Baroque period whatsoever. I'd love to settle down one day and listen and enjoy my favourite operas, maybe being 36 and marrying my CD collection. Alone but not lonely.

I don't know, I'm not in a good mood this month. It's called lack of perspective.

201 - 219 of 219 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.