Classical Music Forum banner
161 - 180 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
38,640 Posts
Is that this newer version? Or is it the version with the yellow background that came out a few years ago? The yellow ones clearly advertise the presence of the CD-Rom. This "Home of Opera" version doesn't.

Not that it matters. It's cheap enough on the Presto sale that I might just order Capriccio and see what happens. That's a helluva cast.
One the JPC site it's this version the green colour.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Nonesuch is currently running a 50% off John Adams sale for his birthday.

They have released a large catalog of his music including Nixon in China on both CD (Edo de Waart) and DVD (from the Met), recordings of The Death of Klinghoffer, I Was Looking at the Ceiling and Then I Saw the Sky, El Niño, and A Flowering Tree, as well as plenty of non-opera/oratorio-related works.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I'm a new member as of 10 mins ago. I am going to rec. 500.00 next week and wish to add to a fledgling opera library. I am restricted to Blu-rays...Would you recommend La Gazzeta (Blu-ray)? Do you have any favorites in Blu-ray?
Thank you!

·
Registered
38,640 Posts
Hello, I'm a new member as of 10 mins ago. I am going to rec. 500.00 next week and wish to add to a fledgling opera library. I am restricted to Blu-rays...Would you recommend La Gazzeta (Blu-ray)? Do you have any favorites in Blu-ray?
Thank you!
Welcome to TalkClassical, as far as I recall only Dynamic recorded this piece once in Brussels.
That's as far as I can help, sorry.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Thank you!
The La Gazzetta on Drnamic is EXCELLENT!!!!! It includes newly discovered music that is missing from the Rossini Opera Festival DVD from a few years ago. Also the spurious arias for Doralice and Madama La Rosa are cut that somehow got added to the score. I'm not sure if Rossini approved or had anything to do with their addition. Though they are attractive pieces. So it's all authentic Rossini... plus the newly discovered quintetto is alone worth the price of admission FIVE STARS!!!! The attractive production is updated, but it works! Good picture and sound! Highly recommended and reminds me that I need to give it a watch!

Reactions: Pugg

·
Registered
15,737 Posts
This Friday Opera Rara will be offering 60% off for most of their catalogue. Good opportunity to grab some of their boxsets at bargain prices.
I just visited the site. I am highly impressed with the sound quality of everything I sampled there. Great deals on the half off sale too. Sadly, Dinorah is out of stock, but there are many other great operas in stock at great sale prices.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
I'm finishing my Jenůfa challenge and I'm really eager to buy a recording even if I shouldn't do it yet.

Why?

Because it's not Mackerras!

And that would not be normal in opera lovers since I still don't own any Mozart or R. Strauss recording. Why Janáček first?

161 - 180 of 219 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.