Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to Operabase, these are the top 50 most performed operas in the world.
How many of these operas have you seen or heard at least once?

50 most played titles
TitleComposerPerformancesProductions
The Magic FluteMozart736111
La BohèmePuccini675122
La traviataVerdi581118
CarmenBizet573100
ToscaPuccini46895
The Marriage of FigaroMozart45285
AidaVerdi36467
Madama ButterflyPuccini36462
Don GiovanniMozart33677
Hansel and GretelHumperdinck32146
RigolettoVerdi28567
The Barber of SevilleRossini24560
Così fan tutteMozart22044
TurandotPuccini21439
NabuccoVerdi20541
Eugene OneginTchaikovsky,P20347
Don PasqualeDonizetti20139
The Elixir of LoveDonizetti19752
RusalkaDvořák,A19640
CinderellaRossini19540
The Flying DutchmanWagner,Richard14628
The TroubadourVerdi13932
FalstaffVerdi12828
Lucia di LammermoorDonizetti12535
The Knight of the RoseStrauss,R11919
Les contes d'HoffmannOffenbach11524
Der FreischützWeber11221
SalomeStrauss,R10921
NormaBellini10922
Orpheus and EurydiceGluck10828
PagliacciLeoncavallo10624
LohengrinWagner,Richard10622
Dido and AeneasPurcell10330
Cavalleria rusticanaMascagni10235
Tristan and IsoldeWagner,Richard10125
MacbethVerdi9519
A Masked BallVerdi9520
FaustGounod9526
Ariadne on NaxosStrauss,R9417
OtelloVerdi9420
Gianni SchicchiPuccini9120
ElectraStrauss,R8921
Bluebeard's CastleBartók8315
The Abduction from the SeraglioMozart8018
SiegfriedWagner,Richard7923
FidelioBeethoven7817
OrfeoMonteverdi7720
AlcinaHändel7015
The RhinegoldWagner,Richard6824
The ValkyrieWagner,Richard6220

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Is this the last season? Or only one country/group of countries?
Seems a bit odd and not correct (L'elisir must be more popular than Don Pasquale) if averaging over a longer period (I was pretty sure Operabase did this as well...)
Anyway, I am not really an opera buff and in the last years I usually was far too lazy to go see any on stage.

Of that list:

Seen on stage: Tosca, Figaro, Giovanni, Rigoletto, L'elisir d'amore, Rosenkavalier, Dido (Purcell), Abduction, Fidelio, Siegfried

Not heard (except excerpts on anthologies) or no recollection of: Nabucco, Don Pasquale, Cinderella, Lucia, Norma, Pagliacci, Cavalleria, Ariadne.
Not sure because I have a recording and heard at least some of it but maybe not all: Gounod's Faust.
Definitely heard highlights on disc: Hansel & Gretel

But many of the ones that remain as "heard" (but not seen) I don't know at all well. Of the ones I have seen I know most reasonably well except Rosenkavalier.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
It must be a kind of snapshot without sufficient averaging out over many seasons. This leads to a few distortions although I'd guess about 40 of them would also be in the top 50 over ~50 seasons since ~1970.
Rheingold cannot usually be more frequently staged/performed than Walküre or Siegfried. None of them are done frequently outside cycles but esp. Rheingold is probably never done except in a Ring cycle.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Wagner has the "worst" (inefficient) ratio between productions and performances; probably because the operas are so long and in smaller companies would require hiring extra musicians so they do fewer performances.

I am actually more surprised that Wagner is so clearly ahead of Rossini and Donizetti and that nowadays Handel is ahead of Strauss, if barely (and probably not stable averaging over 20 seasons).

·
Registered
20,254 Posts
What I find interesting, which seems different than what occurs on TC, is that Verdi is performed three times more often than Wagner.
I can think of several reasons. 1.) TC has a high proportion of performers, composers, other musical professionals, and people serious about classical music in general. Wagner is of greater interest than Verdi outside the opera house. 2.) Wagner's operas are longer and require larger and more expensive performing forces. 3.) Very few people sing several key Wagner roles even tolerably well, and those few probably command astronomical fees. 4.) Verdi writes more hummable tunes that show off the singers more. 4.) La Traviata. It's almost as ubiquitous as La Boheme. There's something about tuberculosis...

·
Registered
373 Posts
I can think of several reasons. 1.) TC has a high proportion of performers, composers, other musical professionals, and people serious about classical music in general. Wagner is of greater interest than Verdi outside the opera house. 2.) Wagner's operas are longer and require larger and more expensive performing forces. 3.) Very few people sing several key Wagner roles even tolerably well, and those few probably command astronomical fees. 4.) Verdi writes more hummable tunes that show off the singers more. 4.) La Traviata. It's almost as ubiquitous as La Boheme. There's something about tuberculosis...
But they don't mention the diagnosis.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I haven't seen live 12 of 50: Hansel and Gretel, Don Pascuale, L'elisir, Der Rosenkavalier, Der Freischütz, Il barbiere, Rusalka, Bluebeard's castle, Faust, both Orpheus, Fidelio.
I haven't heard and seen on video or in recording Der Freischütz and Hansel and Gretel.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I once read that "consumption" in the 19th century need not necessarily mean tuberculosis. This was the most likely disease behind the symptoms but it might sometimes have been something else (not that it is important, people sing well in opera even after being stabbed with swords or daggers).

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Heard: all
Seen live: 30ish
Performed in: 8
Own on CD: 41

What's sad about this list is that it could have been made 100 years ago or so. There isn't a single "modern" opera on it!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts