Classical Music Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
It has beautiful stops; I really like the English reeds. Like most European cathedrals and churches, great accoustics. BTW, who is your favorite English/British organist? There are many great ones, but I really like Jonathan Scott.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Brahms few organ pieces are a marvelous late career embellishment to his keyboard Opus. Since I love Brahms' musical idiom, I find these works enchanting. Most recordings are too slow and overblown to my taste, just not Brahmsian. To my ear, the best interpreter was Viktor Lukas in the Evangeliche Stadtkirche in Bayreuth, only released on vinyl by EMI-Electrola. I only pick another organist for one of the Opus 122 works: Kari Vuola for O Gott, du frommer Gott. for me, Vuola provides the full power this work demands.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Brahms seems to be underestimated ... I like to play his organ works from time to time, and others who are listening appreciate the music as well.
Indeed. - It is too bad that we have only the two early preludes and fugues, the fugue in A-flat minor and the choral preludes.

An organ sonata by Brahms in style of his piano sonatas could easily lead the repertoire ...

·
Registered
277 Posts
Helmut Walcha recorded two mostly-complete cycles of Bach's organ works; one in mono and one in stereo, and both for Archiv. They used different instruments and the sound is good even in the mono set, so it's worth checking out both. The mono set was recently re-issued as well. I would also recommend Simon Preston's Bach cycle for a more modern set. Walcha also recorded (in stereo) a set of "Organ Masters Before Bach" on the church of St. Peter and Paul in Cappel, Germany: some photos and information about this instrument are at https://www.arpschnitger.nl/scappel.html

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
A must needed call out for Rheinberger, who hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread.
To me (but I realize I've got a pretty deviant taste for an organist) his 20 sonatas are the best organ works since Bach, and his collections of shorter works display his genius as a composer as well.
What I find really important is that the German romantic organ composers, with Rheinberger at the helm, treated the organ much more idiomatically than their French contemporaries, who saw the instrument as an "Ersatz" orchestra. To me, that disqualifies most of their music, but then again, I know that's a minority view.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts