Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Without doubt the best general introduction to Russian Orthodox choral music is the series of CD's - Sacred Treasures: Choral Masterworks from Russia - issued by the NPR radio program 'Hearts Of Space'.

A stunner from Volume V:

Yeletskyh (arr.) Bless the Lord, Praise the Lord, Amen (Liturgy of Peace for Chorus) - Kyiv Chamber Choir.

Best wishes

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Metairie Roadm best one here.

@Flamme, I have a better version of it sung by female-male mass (it's kinda related to Ippolitov Ivanov I think)

@science, samples please.

@Aleksandar, they were long so I fast-forward-listen to them! The first one wasn't very impressive, I liked the second better.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I downloaded a few Georgian chants from a Classical music website with free music 10 years ago (well some of them were truly failure in performance! false playing, coughs here and there etc. !)

Two of them for example have these names:

ENSEMBLE_OF_OLD_CHURCH_MUSIC_SRETENYE-TO_THEE_WE_SING

ENSEMBLE_OF_OLD_CHURCH_MUSIC_SRETENYE-OLD_GEORGIAN_CHANT

·
Registered
21,391 Posts
@science, samples please.
I don't know how to work that out for you. Perhaps you can find some youtube. Keyrouz has done several albums of music from various Christian traditions of the Levant, not only the Orthodox; I've heard three of them, and Chant Byzantin is my favorite by very far.

·
Registered
21,391 Posts
I downloaded a few Georgian chants from a Classical music website with free music 10 years ago (well some of them were truly failure in performance! false playing, coughs here and there etc.
Was it an amateur choir? After all, Orthodox music is usually sung by people who are in church, not by professional musicians. It's a living religious tradition, not usually regarded as performance art.

G

·
I don't know how accurate it is, but what about Rachmaninov's works?

There is his Op. 37 Vespers/All-night Vigil, as well as the Op. 31 Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom. He may be best known for his piano concertos, but these religious choral works are spectacular.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Can confirm, him and Tchaikovsky wrote great works for the Russian Orthodox church.
But their works are not sung in their entirety during the Divine Liturgy - Their works are considered pieces for the Concert Hall. One should also listen to Grechaninov's "Strastnaya Sedmitsa" - It is also a grand *A Capella* piece, which I include below:

However, if you can get your hands on Valery Polyansky conducting this work you'll be in for a treat...

·
Registered
464 Posts
Chesnokov was about the same age as Rachmaninoff. Incredibly profound choral piece:

And poor Chesnokov who had been Director of Choral Music at Christ the Saviour Cathedral for many years became utterly heartbroken when he saw from his living room window how the godless Bolsheviks dynamited the Cathedral - He died shortly after witnessing the act.

·
Registered
110 Posts
This is the best Byzantine chant series I have ever heard. They are very well recorded, austere, and with beautiful voices. The were made by monks of the Vatopedi monastery at Mount Athos and the University of Crete. I'm sure the fact that the University of Crete took part in this recording contributed to their value, which is both artistic and historical.

·
Registered
333 Posts
From Byzantine Empire, Georgia, Russia, Romania and Serbia.

Can anyone introduce/recommend some historical works belong to this church?

A few Georgian chants I heard several years ago were very oriental and spiritual and I liked them. I hope I find more.
Any work by Ephrem the Syrian (300 AD, composer of what is now known as the Orthodox church of the Levant.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.