Classical Music Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,452 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Do any works survive? How were they notated? Do we have any idea what the sounded like?
Most of them did. They're a valued treasure of the Syriac Orthodox Church.

Here's the music and arrangement he composed for the Our Father prayer:

Here's my personal favorite (start from 1:00). This piece is stunning...

Here's another beautiful one:

And a last one (there are several other ones):

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Rachmaninoff's Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom Op.31 is a good one.
I liked 'First Antiphon', 'Trisagion Hymn' and 'Nicaean Creed' pieces the most.

·
Registered
21,391 Posts
This is the best Byzantine chant series I have ever heard. They are very well recorded, austere, and with beautiful voices. The were made by monks of the Vatopedi monastery at Mount Athos and the University of Crete. I'm sure the fact that the University of Crete took part in this recording contributed to their value, which is both artistic and historical.
Those are good. Great find!

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is a work of the medieval Byzantine composer of Bulgarian origin John Koukuzelis. It is Axion Estin, a hymn to the Virgin Mary. The language is old Bulgarian.

This is his most famous work - "Polyeleos to the Bulgarian Woman", whitch he wrote for his mother.

·
Registered
921 Posts
And poor Chesnokov who had been Director of Choral Music at Christ the Saviour Cathedral for many years became utterly heartbroken when he saw from his living room window how the godless Bolsheviks dynamited the Cathedral - He died shortly after witnessing the act.
No question that he was heartbroken and stopped composing, but the cathedral was destroyed in 1931. Chesnokov died in 1944, according to what I read. @Ilarion, you are in Moscow. Surely you have been to the now-rebuilt cathedral. Do you like it? How does it compare to the original in your opinion?

:tiphat:

Kind regards,

George

·
Registered
12 Posts
I quickly found plenty of YouTubes of Marie Kayrouth. I never heard of her before -- amazing vocals. She also has recorded Maronite Christian music (from Lebanon), which is interesting.

This is the "Chant Byzantin" which science mentioned:

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.