Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
Liszt, Bruckner, Chopin, Scriabin, Wallace, Bortkiewicz.
2,792 Posts
David is an older guy, has been listening to classical music for decades, and has been a contributor here for the better part of a decade, and his avatar is a picture of Beethoven. He certainly knows that the Moonlight Sonata has three movements, and I'm sure he was factoring in all three when he wrote that. I initially read your post as very condescending but it appears your heart was in the right place.

Anyway, I would like to echo his sentiment: the Moonlight Sonata doesn't provide any serious challenges of a virtuoso nature, in any of the three movements. It's fast, sure, but it's all scales and arpeggios. I'm sure I could learn it myself with my modest skills within the space of a few months.

Also, on an unrelated note, I disagree with your flippant dismissal of the second movement, it's my favorite of the three!
To the point! It is the best movement (and the most demanding) in this sonata.

(Beethoven starts where the notes are ending. He has little to do with virtuosity, which, most of the times, is meaningless. I consider Liszt's and Rachmaninoff's concerts of medium difficulty in comparison to any of Beethoven's).

(Very interesting list. Some works are unknown to me).

Reactions: flamencosketches
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.