Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
I think piano transcriptions are quite interesting. I've never heard of people not liking them, so that's kind of news to me. I agree with the post above that they allow for a new way of listening to a work, and if done well they have the possibility of revealing something about the original that may be lost in the mix. It's kind of like translating, in a way. It's a new piece but comes from an old. I think it has great potential.
It's easier to hear the logic of a complex work. But many people want to hear the intentions of the composer's (or the arranger's) orchestral ideas.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
I'm usually tickled to see it all reduced down into something playable by one person. That should count for something.

Also, what they can't include is also interesting. Only 10 fingers and only piano sounds, so sometimes there's glaring omissions.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Actually inspired by this thread I did a bit of investigation on Busoni's attitude to transcription, which seems to be quite complicated not least because he changed his point of view, and the well known Bach/Busoni paradigm may not be the best way to hear his final ideas. I've been surprising myself by how much I've been enjoying the Elegies. Normally I can't go near this sort of music without feelingthe urge to run away.

Hamelin plays them, they're like parodies of music by Mozart, Luther and indeed his own music. Parody as in parody mass. Unfortunately Mein Seele Bant doesn't seem to be on youtube so I can't post a link.

Ferruccio Busoni, 6 Elegies, BV 249
Svetlana Belsky

Published on Mar 19, 2018
Recorded Live; Souers Recital Hall, Miami University, 3/15/2018

00:00 1. Nach der Wendung (Recueillement) ["After the Turning" (Contemplation)]
05:15 2. All' Italia! (In modo napolitano) ["To Italy!" (In a Neapolitan Mode)]
12:19 3. Meine Seele bangt und hofft zu Dir (Choralvorspiel) ["My soul trembles and hopes of thee" (Chorale Prelude)]
19:52 4. Turandots Frauengemach (Intermezzo) ["Turandot's Bower" (Intermezzo)]
24:05 5. Die Nächtlichen (Walzer) ["The Nocturnal" (Waltz)]
29:01 6. Erscheinung (Notturno) ["Visitation" (Nocturne)]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts