Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure where else to post this, other than keyboard instruments. I am interested in exploring piano tuning as a career option and wonder if anyone here knows about it.

I potentially have an opportunity to learn piano tuning in a piano rental store, and get paid to tune up the pianos on their floor. The boss seems to think I can be trained to do that. I am wondering if it could be a very meditative activity that could open the gateway to a profession that would sustain me for a living. This initial job, provided I can be trained for it, would not necessarily be a very frequent job. Originally I was working with some piano maintenance, but it proved too difficult for me, the refinishing tasks at any rate I messed up too many times on.

The catch is that I had a recent hiccup in my mental health. I would want this to be a job I could really tolerate. I believe I could easily get lost in the right task and that mentality could be instrumental to piano tuning. I have good pitch awareness and a good ear, the question is if I have the patience and motor skills, and can develop the calm. And if I can be properly motivated to learn and excel.

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
most part a ear(brain)muscle coördination. And loads of practising of course -esp.tuning unisons. my experience is it's boring most of the time when tuning 20plus (mostly old) pianos a week.
Are you a tuner? I'm trying to decide if it's a smart move for me to try to learn it.

I know it's not required to have perfect pitch, but I basically do have it. Would it be an asset at all then? Maybe I could learn to tune with a fork just to check for accuracy?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.