Classical Music Forum banner
4041 - 4060 of 4096 Posts

·
Registered
33,142 Posts

Bach's seminal work of sacred art paints a monumental fresco of life's journey to redemption. Calixto Bieito, one of the most exciting directors of his generation, directs this dramatised oratorio. With the help of an excellent cast, the period orchestra Les Talens Lyriques and a group of amateur singers which form the chorus at the heart of the narrative, he leads us into dialogue with this work today to confront pain and death.

Streamed on OperaVision on 4 June 2021 at 19:00 CET and available for 6 months:
https://operavision.eu/en/library/per...

CAST

Jesus: Benjamin Appl
The Evangelist: Joshua Ellicott
Soprano: Lenneke Ruiten
Alto: Carlos Mena
Tenor / aria: Robert Murray
Bass / Pilate: Andreas Wolf
A female servant: Céline Boudineau*
A male servant: Joseph Ben Zakoun*
Pierre: Arnaud Keller*
(*Members of Chœur de Paris)
Chorus: Chœur de Paris
Orchestra: Les Talens Lyriques

Music: Johann Sebastian Bach
Conductor: Philippe Pierlot
Director: Calixto Bieito, revival by Lucía Astigarraga
Set Designer: Aida-Leonor Guardia
Costume Designer: Ingo Krügler
Lighting Designer: Michael Bauer
Chorus Master: Till Aly
Musical director assistant: Clément Lonca
Costume designer assistant: Paula Klein

·
Registered
116 Posts
Groven's Symphony no.1 is a very recent (last night, oddly enough) one that comes to mind. It didn't so much blow me away, but move me away in the most wonderful of ways. I've literally listened to the opening Andante quasi cantabile about a half-dozen times since then, and it just gets better and better. Oh well, ain't the first time that's happened :lol:

But there is also Antheil's Ballet Mechanique. I heard that work for the first time not last week, but the week before last. I still can't figure out if I love or hate the thing, but it did blow me away in terms of it's sheer rawness of rhythm and sound. As if the Rite of Spring got mad and decided to rant for 16 minutes.

·
Registered
33,142 Posts

Lucas and Arthur Jussen perform Fazil Says 'NIGHT' which was specially composed for the two brothers.

Live recording - 9 September 2020, Concertgebouw Amsterdam

·
Registered
116 Posts

I have to say: the best performance of the Hexachordum I've ever heard. Past experiences with it have resulted in saying to myself: "Why does everyone praise such a dry and boring work?" I say why: no spirit in the keys! And Simone adds more than just enough.

·
Registered
33,142 Posts

The Golden Spinning Wheel (Czech: Zlatý kolovrat), Op. 109, B. 197, is a symphonic poem for orchestra by Antonín Dvořák, composed from January to April 1896. The work is inspired by the poem of the same name found in Kytice, a collection of folk ballads by Karel Jaromír Erben.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
André Previn : Concerto for piano and orchestra (1984)
For me André Previn always comes with the baggage of his personal life. He cheated on his wife Dory, a pop singer/songwriter in her own right, with actress Mia Farrow, who was previously married to Frank Sinatra (she was 21 when they married, he was 50). THAT marriage lasted only a year or two, although they continued to canoodle even while she was married to Previn. Previn filed for divorce from Dory after he got Mia pregnant.

That marriage lasted for nine years, and eventually married Woody Allen, who also comes with baggage. She starred in over a dozen of Allen's films. Farrow became obsessed with collecting and adopting orphans, one of which, Soon-Yi, ended up having an affair with Allen details of which surfaced when she turned 21.

There's more, but whatever. When I hear about André Previn all I think about is the soap opera that is associated with him. Ironically, Mia Farrow (Previn's 3rd wife) had achieved her stardom on the successful primetime soap opera Peyton Place.

Previn, who died in 2019 at the age of 89, had been married a whopping five times.

·
Registered
33,142 Posts
For me André Previn always comes with the baggage of his personal life. He cheated on his wife Dory, a pop singer/songwriter in her own right, with actress Mia Farrow, who was previously married to Frank Sinatra (she was 21 when they married, he was 50). THAT marriage lasted only a year or two, although they continued to canoodle even while she was married to Previn. Previn filed for divorce from Dory after he got Mia pregnant.

That marriage lasted for nine years, and eventually married Woody Allen, who also comes with baggage. She starred in over a dozen of Allen's films. Farrow became obsessed with collecting and adopting orphans, one of which, Soon-Yi, ended up having an affair with Allen details of which surfaced when she turned 21.

There's more, but whatever. When I hear about André Previn all I think about is the soap opera that is associated with him. Ironically, Mia Farrow (Previn's 3rd wife) had achieved her stardom on the successful primetime soap opera Peyton Place.

Previn, who died in 2019 at the age of 89, had been married a whopping five times.
I know it all and yet I can switch off that feelings, just like Levine, and all the other me too´s they all made beautiful music.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Wat has he to do with me too? :confused:
Nothing, so I guess my comment wasn't quite appropriate. But from the Overrated Pianists thread you expressed a distaste for him and it seemed to go beyond his playing, like it was something about him personally that you couldn't overlook.

·
Registered
33,142 Posts
Nothing, so I guess my comment wasn't quite appropriate. But from the Overrated Pianists thread you expressed a distaste for him and it seemed to go beyond his playing, like it was something about him personally that you couldn't overlook.
I am never gripped by any of his performances, that's it.
( The smart remarks by him dated from later, that's all)

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I am never gripped by any of his performances, that's it.
( The smart remarks by him dated from later, that's all)
Something along the lines of, there are three kinds of pianists: Jewish pianists, homosexual pianists, and bad pianists?

I'm not crazy about that statement but I overlook it because in my opinion he can be remarkable, electrifying live.

However you are within your rights not to like either his remarks or his playing. I can see how he's not everybody's cup of tea.

4041 - 4060 of 4096 Posts