Classical Music Forum banner
4061 - 4080 of 4096 Posts

·
Registered
33,144 Posts

Lennox Berkeley (1903-1989): Sinfonia No.2 (1958).

I. Lento - Allegro - Poco meno mosso - Lento
II. Allegro vivace - Meno vivo - Tornando al Tempo I
III. Lento - Più vivo - Largamente - Tempo I
IV. Allegro

BBC National Orchestra of Wales diretta da Richard Hickox.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts

Lennox Berkeley (1903-1989): Sinfonia No.2 (1958).

I. Lento - Allegro - Poco meno mosso - Lento
II. Allegro vivace - Meno vivo - Tornando al Tempo I
III. Lento - Più vivo - Largamente - Tempo I
IV. Allegro

BBC National Orchestra of Wales diretta da Richard Hickox.
This is exactly the type of orchestral music I hear in my head when I think of Orchestral Music from the 1950s.

I can't attest to how it sounded to ears back THEN, but it sounds so very stereotypical of the era to me.

Nice orchestrations, though. Way above average.

·
Registered
33,144 Posts
This is exactly the type of orchestral music I hear in my head when I think of Orchestral Music from the 1950s.

I can't attest to how it sounded to ears back THEN, but it sounds so very stereotypical of the era to me.

Nice orchestrations, though. Way above average.[/QUOTE]

I had the same when I first listened , not sure about above thingy though

·
Registered
219 Posts
Le désert, ode symphonie by Félicien David

heard it on a local radio station a few days ago. never heard anything by the composer before, did not even know the name to be honest!

a very unique symphonic work with narration, both meditative and festive, all in all very unique to my ears.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
When I was finally able to move away from my Klemperer version of Mahler´s 2nd Symphony, it was a revelation and I was very thrilled indeed. Jurowski and Rattle, both on the magnificent island of Great Britain, did great work with this Symphony! The revelation of the 2nd also made me see similar elements in the 3rd, and something really clicked there, too.

To really get Mahler, you really need recordings that suit you. That much I have learned. Due to unsuitable performances, you might even think you do not like a certain symphony. That happened to me.

I have been listening to Mahler symphonies rather intensively now for almost 4 months. Thinking of the journey now, it took a rather long time to really get the hang of them. Or maybe it is a short time? I do not know. Still I am not too familiar with the 1st, 4th or the 8th. Of the others I now know what is required of a suitable performance and being able to feel the magic.

4061 - 4080 of 4096 Posts