Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Overture Strauss, J, II: Die Fledermaus
Thx!
i have this on several records, including the famous Telarc Ein Straussfest, but because I've filled my 3-pounder with so much other CM, it's amazing how much "basic, early repertoire" one can only remember by MELODY/TONALITY/RHYTHM.

BTW: YouTube's internal music copyright detector also could not identify this piece as well as add-on extensions such as AHA Music or https://audiotag.info

·
Registered
33,221 Posts
Thx!
i have this on several records, including the famous Telarc Ein Straussfest, but because I've filled my 3-pounder with so much other CM, it's amazing how much "basic, early repertoire" one can only remember by MELODY/TONALITY/RHYTHM.

BTW: YouTube's internal music copyright detector also could not identify this piece as well as add-on extensions such as AHA Music or https://audiotag.info
I never heard from that site, never mind, it's Strauss and you've got your answer.
Enjoy:tiphat:.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BTW:
Does anyone have an idea as to the SPECIFIC record that video is using? I.e., orchestra/conductor, album title, etc.
Reason I ask: I don't recall J. Strauss II being so melodic and tender as the woodwinds segments are in that clip. I have a few recordings of Die Fledermaus and none of as melodically played.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
BTW:
Does anyone have an idea as to the SPECIFIC record that video is using? I.e., orchestra/conductor, album title, etc.
Reason I ask: I don't recall J. Strauss II being so melodic and tender as the woodwinds segments are in that clip. I have a few recordings of Die Fledermaus and none of as melodically played.
Sounds like the Karajan with the Weiner Phil. Here's a Youtube vid of it. The audio isn't as "hot" in this video, but it the resonance and tempi changes seem the same.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like the Karajan with the Weiner Phil. Here's a Youtube vid of it. The audio isn't as "hot" in this video, but it the resonance and tempi changes seem the same.

Hmm ... they are pretty close ... I wonder if the orig. I posted might not an earlier Karajan.
About the "hotness" of the audio. Yeah ... that might be the Youtube vlogger EQ'ing the audio ... or it could be authentic?????? Heck, it almost sounds like Phase-4 Stereo (late 50s/early 60s) ....hmmm ... did Stoki record Fledermaus? Other than this old mono release (which is quite good):

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Kingsway Symphony Orchestra - The Vienna Of Johann Strauss

About the "hotness" of the audio. Yeah ... that might be the Youtube vlogger EQ'ing the audio ... or it could be authentic?????? Heck, it almost sounds like Phase-4 Stereo (late 50s/early 60s) ....hmmm ... did Stoki record Fledermaus?
The vlogger confirmed my suspicion about Phase-4. The orig. video sample is from this 1971 Lp:
The Kingsway Symphony Orchestra - The Vienna Of Johann Strauss
Font Space Science Publication Darkness

Phase-4 has had several box-set re-issues (and separate London/Decca) CD releases, but TTBOMK, not the above.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts