Classical Music Forum banner

"The Great Violinists" - Finals - Choose up to 8 selections...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
Chicago (ex-Dublin)
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This thread is an attempt to determine whether a new selection methodology - a poll - will alter the results of the original "Great Violinists" Finals.

I've combined the Top Ten Finalists from each of the two Semi-Finals and added 5 additional names (the violinists with the next highest totals from each) to make use of the new polling format which allows 25 options for selections.

You can choose up to 8 selections.

You can change your votes.

Your choices will be visible to other members.

There is no expiration date on the poll - It will stay active as long as there is any interest in the subject.

Any commentary that you may have to offer is more than welcome.

·
Premium Member
Chicago (ex-Dublin)
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well, it seems to have resurrected Heifetz’s career!
Heifetz only missed out on making the Finals by 3 points - You can blame Shaughnessy for that - He gave Nicola Benedetti almost 30 points - 10 times as many as he gave Heifetz.

I'm thinking of banning Shaughnessy - He just won't take the game seriously - He freely admitted that "good looks means more than talent" - several times - and he said it without even a hint of shame - In fact, he laughed - He thought it was hilarious...

Exhibit A on why Jascha Heifetz didn't make it to the Finals - Thanks for nothing, Shaughnessy... sigh... Idiot...

Nicola Benedetti: 'Music is the art of all the things we can't see or  touch. We need it in our lives' | Classical music | The Guardian

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Heifetz only missed out on making the Finals by 3 points - You can blame Shaughnessy for that - He gave Nicola Benedetti almost 30 points - 10 times as many as he gave Heifetz.

I'm thinking of banning Shaughnessy - He just won't take the game seriously - He freely admitted that "good looks means more than talent" - several times - and he said it without a trace or even a hint of shame - In fact, he laughed - He thought it was hilarious...

Exhibit A on why Jascha Heifetz didn't make it to the Finals - Thanks for nothing, Shaughnessy... sigh... Idiot...
I think that in the quarterfinals and semifinals, a lot of people were invested in making sure that personal favorites made the cut. That was certainly a factor in my voting. I assumed in the semifinal that Heifetz would have no trouble making the cut, so I didn't vote for him early on, and didn't start voting for him until I noticed that he was in danger of elimination.

·
Premium Member
Chicago (ex-Dublin)
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I think that in the quarterfinals and semifinals, a lot of people were invested in making sure that personal favorites made the cut. That was certainly a factor in my voting. I assumed in the semifinal that Heifetz would have no trouble making the cut, so I didn't vote for him early on, and didn't start voting for him until I noticed that he was in danger of elimination.
I remember the two of us frantically throwing down "fives" for Heifetz in the last days of the competition - But realistically, there were over a dozen players and any one of them could have added the 3 points needed to get him over the hump but kudos to Shaughnessy for being willing to fall on his sword for this one. He kind of gets on my nerves but I greatly admire his courage, bravery, heroism, and self-effacing modesty... and... oh, yeah... his humility... especially his humility.

·
Premium Member
Chicago (ex-Dublin)
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
To see who voted for whom - Click on the yellow/orange bars.

At this point, Grumiaux and Oistrakh are tied with 10 votes - 7 members have voted for both.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts