Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
30,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Let's take another look at posting images. Just as in the past, the new site allows images to be displayed in two ways: from the site's server and by deeplinking to an image on the web.

Before we get into the technicalities how to do this, we probably need to put in a reminder about copyright issues:
1. Unless clearly marked otherwise, assume every image on the web is copyrighted.
2. Do NOT upload copyrighted images to the TC server, unless you are the creator (pictures you've taken yourself).
3. Deep linking to images hosted elsewhere on the web is allowed, provided the images are not watermarked or include the copyright sign.

Let's now see how we can get an image to appear within your posts.

As an example I'm using a photograph I took myself (my copyright) and that is available on the web here:

The image itself has this url (link).

First example: upload an image from your computer that you have taken yourself, or that you have downloaded, but is not copyrighted.

Press the insert image button at the bottom of your post. Make sure that upload image is selected top left.

You can now either drag an image to the designed space, or click where it says "click here" to select the image from your computer and you're done:

Hair Horse Working animal Horse tack Liver

Now if you right click and open the image in a new tab, you will notice that the picture has a TC url - it is on the server.

You want it at a different size in your post? Click the image and with your mouse you can increase or decrease size:

Hair Horse Working animal Horse tack Liver

Second example: share an image from the web by deep linking.

There are several methods to do this. The easiest is, just as in the old site, by putting the picture's url between the image commands (img)<URL to image>(/img) of course with [ ] instead of ():

The advantage of this method is that you can also adjust the size of the picture as displayed by adding a size command in there: (IMG width="300px") <URL to image> (/IMG) of course with [ ] instead of ():

As an alternative, you can go to the site with the picture, select the picture (and possibly text as well), rather than the url, then copy/paste to your post:

Again, you can adjust the size of the image as shown earlier:

If you're unsure about copyright issues, deep linking is always the preferable route. One word of warning though. Make sure you only deep link to images from "stable" sites, like amazon or record labels or wikipedia or news sites, where one can expect these images to remain where they are (in terms of the defining url).

·
Premium Member
16,610 Posts
"You can also adjust the size of the picture as displayed by adding a size command in there: (IMG width="300px") <URL to image> (/IMG) of course with [ ] instead of ():"

Would you explain that more clearly? Where does this Image command go?

·
Super Moderator
30,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you link to an image hosted on another site, you take the url of that image and put it between the image commands (img) and (/img), but with [ ] imstead of ( ), and the image will show up in your post. I can't show it with the [ ] in place, because the software will interpret it as an image, and will not display that code.

If you want to link to an image hosted on another site AND edit the picture size, you can include the width="300px" command (or any other px size you prefer) after the first code img, and the picture you link to will show up in your post in the desired size (the height should be automatically adjusted).

It is difficult to explain more clearly because the actual code cannot be displayed.

·
Super Moderator
30,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Premium Member
Chicago (ex-Dublin)
2,282 Posts

I don't understand the premise - Why is this method being used rather than just dragging and dropping the image right into the post - Left clicking on it - and then using the corner sizing handles to re-size the image?

·
Premium Member
Chicago (ex-Dublin)
2,282 Posts
Appraently that does not work with all images (so I've been told by TC members).
That makes sense... It would help if they provided an example of an image that doesn't work - It's worked for me without fail but one thing that I do know is that images that end in .webp never worked on the old site - only .jpg - but now even .webp images work - (image at bottom) - It's nice to have a back-up method - If I run into any images that won't play well with the others I'll list them here and perhaps the developers would have an answer.

The Netherlands Windmill – Ancient Engineering Technologies – UW–Madison

The Netherlands Windmill – Ancient Engineering Technologies – UW–Madison

WebP Image

WebP Image

·
Premium Member
Chicago (ex-Dublin)
2,282 Posts
Clapping Vintage GIF - Clapping Vintage - Discover & Share GIFs

A round of applause to NoCoPilot for finding something even more irritating than me - :LOL:

This post is actually an example of how one can also just drag and drop the .gif right into the post.

·
Premium Member
16,610 Posts
When I try to post a link to a picture, I am getting a lot of "Oops, we can't post this. Contact the administrator" (I don't remember the exact wording. What am I doing wrong?

·
Premium Member
Chicago (ex-Dublin)
2,282 Posts
When I try to post a link to a picture, I am getting a lot of "Oops, we can't post this. Contact the administrator" (I don't remember the exact wording. What am I doing wrong?
What is it a picture of and where can it be found? - If you can provide that information - even without the actual link - Just a description - Someone can try to recreate what you're experiencing and work from there.

·
Premium Member
16,610 Posts
What is it a picture of and where can it be found? - If you can provide that information - even without the actual link - Just a description - Someone can try to recreate what you're experiencing and work from there.
Thanks.

I highlight the URL of an image from Bing.
On TalkClassical, I select the Image box at the bottom of the screen.
I paste the URL into the Link option.
I get the error message.

·
Premium Member
Chicago (ex-Dublin)
2,282 Posts
It says "Something went wrong - Please contact the administrator" - right?

With Bing, don't use the URL in the address bar of your browser - That's why you're getting the above message.

There are easier ways of doing what you're attempting to do but I'll walk you through the way you've been doing it.

Before we start - "Bing Images" is terrible - Head over to "Google Images" instead - Just do a search on both and you'll see the differences yourself. But for now, stay with Bing Images...

1) You're on the "Bing Images" page - Type in "Helene Grimaud" - press enter - and these are the results -

Click on the third image from the top left - Now - Right click on the image and select "Copy Image Address"

This is important - If it's not the image address, you'll keep receiving the error message.

Go back to TalkClassical - Click on "Insert image" icon - Click on the "By URL" icon at the very top left.

Right click your mouse and then click on "Paste" - and this is what you'll see - Except it will be huge - You'll have to re-size it - See below...

Click on the image itself once - and you'll see re-sizing bars at the corner - Adjust the size of the image.

Or... you could just drag and drop the image right into the post - Just click on it and drag it up towards the Talkclassical page (you'll see a "Plus" sign on the image) and then drop it right into the post.

Here's the same image except using the drag and drop method -

See the source image

Optional - Write a humorous caption under the photo...

In the future, when in doubt - Just drag and drop - You'll live a longer and happier life...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts