Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
20,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The question of how to post a decent-sized image keeps coming up. Should there be a sticky thread here with instructions? Here's what I just wrote to help a member:

To get a big image, you have to post from a web site.

1 - Upload your JPG to https://postimage.org/ and you'll be given a URL.
2 - Copy the URL to your clipboard using the icon to the right of the "Direct link" notice..
3 - As you enter your post, click the picture button where you want the picture to appear.
4 - Select the "From URL" tab in the dialog box that appears.
5 - Paste your image's URL into the place provided.
6 - VERY IMPORTANT! Uncheck the "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" checkbox.
7 - Click "OK".

Now you can continue typing or just post the message.

I can redo these instructions with screenshots if the mods think it's worthwhile.

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts

·
Registered
20,011 Posts
To get a big image in your post, you can't upload your picture directly from your computer. You have to place it on a web site and then link to its URL (Internet address). Here's an easy way to do that.

1 - First, go to a new tab and open Imgur at Go to so that it'll be easily available when you need it.

2 - Now create your post as usual. When you get to the point where you want your picture to appear, click on your Imgur tab. Now, choose the picture you want by clicking on the browse button.

3 - The picture will upload automatically when you choose it. Then you'll get a new screen.

4. The copy button opens a new menu.You have an option to edit big pictures, especially out-of-the-camera shots - 800X600 is a good size for the web.

The edit screen looks like this.

Once you're happy with your changes, click save and you go back to the posting screen.

5. Under the copy menu, you'll see an item called Get Share Links. Click on that and you get this menu

Click on the copy button beside the box under BBCode (Forums). The details to include the picture on TC have now been copied.

6 - Now, click on your TalkClassical tab, the one where you're in the middle of typing your post. Right click where the picture should go and select paste. The code for your picture should appear in the post you're preparing. You can now type some more or submit your post as usual. Please remember you can only include 5 images in a post.

Note: This post was prepared using exactly the steps described.

·
Registered
20,011 Posts
I'll add that any picture on the Internet can be linked to the same way.

1. Right-click on the picture you want, choose "Copy" from the drop-down context menu (in Windows).

2. Now, click on your TalkClassical tab, the one where you're in the middle of typing your post. On the icon bar above the text box you're typing in, click on the "image" icon.

3. A new dialog box will appear. Click on the tab labeled "From URL". You're almost done!

Click in the textbox labeled "URL" and then past your picture's URL using Ctrl-V or whatever other pasting command your computer uses (remember, it's already on your clipboard). Finally, be sure to uncheck the checkbox labeled "Retrieve remote file and reference locally".

4. Click the "OK" button at the bottom of the dialog box and your picture should appear in the post you're preparing. You can now type some more or submit your post as usual.

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
I'll add that any picture on the Internet can be linked to the same way. Just skip steps 1-3. Right-click on the picture you want, choose "Copy" from the drop-down context menu (in Windows), and paste into the "URL" textbox in step 6. Again, uncheck the checkbox labeled "Retrieve remote file and reference locally".
Be careful. These are browser specific. The "Copy" option only applies in Internet Explorer and in Edge. These are for Windows only as are these:

Firefox says Copy image location

Chrome says Copy image address

It is very important that you copy the location \ address and not the image itself if you are using one of these browsers. You will also find, from time to time, that the mouse slips and you end up copying the image. :eek: When you paste it into the URL bar you get a large amount of garbage corresponding to the raw image data. If that happens, try again.

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
Using your favourite search engine, you search for the CD -give as much detail as possible so you get the correct version e.g. Biber Rosary Sonata Rachel Podger. Now look at images in your search engine - you should have a range of sizes. Typically, I like about 500 x 500. Once you've got the one you want, click on it. This example is from Google:

You can now right click on the large picture to get it's URL as described above. Then you can include it as an image

Done.

(In case you're wondering, the google page doesn't include the image at full size which is why the CD image is bigger, also TC does a bit of compression on images to make them fit)

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Judith

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Using your favourite search engine, you search for the CD -give as much detail as possible so you get the correct version e.g. Biber Rosary Sonata Rachel Podger. Now look at images in your search engine - you should have a range of sizes. Typically, I like about 500 x 500. Once you've got the one you want, click on it. This example is from Google:

You can now right click on the large picture to get it's URL as described above. Then you can include it as an image

Done.

(In case you're wondering, the google page doesn't include the image at full size which is why the CD image is bigger, also TC does a bit of compression on images to make them fit)

Hope this helps.
Thank you for that. I will try!!

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
In the past, I have tried to include pictures with my blog posts, but these pictures tend to vanish from the post within 24 hours or so. I have no idea why. What can I do to make the pictures stay up permanently?

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
The instructions are similar. The right click context menus on Windows are accessed by holding down the command key and clicking on the screen in the appropriate place. See this - https://www.benchmarkemail.com/help...w-do-i-get-the-url-of-an-image-from-a-website for more details. You can also use the Mac keyboard shortcuts - see https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201236 for more details.

The keyboard shortcuts page also talks about the clipboard. Simply put, the clipboard is a (hidden) area of memory used to store whatever it is you are copying (or cutting) so that it can be pasted later.

Reactions: hpowders

·
Administrator
5,107 Posts
I just uploaded a picture that I took in "portrait" orientation and which shows up as such on my computer - but it gets turned to "landscape" orientation in the post. :confused:
Most likely this occurred because of the size limitations that are imposed on uploaded images.

The width and height maximums are 1680 pixels. If an image exceeds 1680 in height it's likely to be squeezed the other way.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
This is an old thread but I thought my post is appropriate.

On some posts the picture that the poster has given is blank. It seems to be the same people.

I use Firefox and have quite a few security extensions. If photos are being linked instead of uploaded it could be that the link is the problem. Also, it could be from one particular site (like Photobucket) but not another one (like Flickr). Unfortunately, I don't know how each person is posting.

My reason for this post is asking if anyone else has experienced this problem too.

·
Registered
20,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
In my case, for a long time I used Postimage to host pictures on my hard drive (or screen clips, etc.) so that I could link to them on the 'net and get large images.

Then Postimage got whacked somehow and all the pictures I had posted disappeared.* Just blanks now. I now use Imagur, which works fine so far!

*See post 3 in this thread, which originally had a bevy if fine screen shots!

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
Thanks to KenOC for all the hard work. :tiphat: Well done! :clap:

I've updated the original post with the steps for imgur.

Thanks for the prod, I've been meaning to do this for some time. :sleep:

·
Registered
15,766 Posts
1 - Upload your JPG to https://postimage.org/ and you'll be given a URL.
I only do this for my own photos. Usually I am posting an Amazon hosted image. However, perhaps it is better with other web sources to transfer the image to Postimage to prevent some malicious person from changing what was posted.

Also, I hope Postimage does not pull a Photobucket and put ads in place of everyone's photos until they pay.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.