Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure how many of you are active practitioners of classical instruments, but I practice classical guitar anywhere from 4-8 hours a day (with breaks, of course). I'm currently on summer break and I've been experimenting with practice organization. I was wondering if anyone has tips, advice, or even just wants to share their current practice habits, ie: How to arrange technique practice, musical practice, slow practice, etc. Thanks.

-Chris

G

·
On the organization stuff I can’t help you. I have ADD so I have no form of organization anywhere in my life. The only thing I can tell you is practice slow and with a metronome. It's hard and annoying at times but its worth it very much so. I myself should practice like that more often but I am impatient and get off task quickly. And practice like that more than any other way of practicing.

·
Banned
946 Posts
I'm not sure how many of you are active practitioners of classical instruments, but I practice classical guitar anywhere from 4-8 hours a day (with breaks, of course).
Oh my god!.

I'm currently on summer break
That explains everything.

Last summer I studied 9 hours a day also. Half violin, half piano.

·
Registered
63 Posts
4~8 hours a day on an instrument? that's too diligent!
i always wanted to be that diligent but i usually get bored when i'm unable to perform a piece after trying it a lot of times.

I think practising slow is the best way to achieve great performance but it's surely boring. Moreover if you have heard how the song will sounds like, it's likely to play as fast as the recording... well, maybe it's just my feeling :D

·
Banned
946 Posts
it's likely to play as fast as the recording...
But if you really can't do it, you are just wasting time.

4~8 hours a day on an instrument? that's too diligent!
i always wanted to be that diligent but i usually get bored when i'm unable to perform a piece after trying it a lot of times.
I play technical exercises most of the time. And yes, I start by playing them slowly so that everything is under control. For most students playing fast is just a way to hide mistakes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.