Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this is the first classical piece I ever created. It's a prelude or maybe an overture to a piano concerto :) For more information etcetera, please read the description! It's not recorded, but it's a midifile; so there is little to no dynamic unfortunately and the instruments don't sound as pure and good as it would sound with real instruments too, please cut me some slack haha!

9,862 Posts
I liked it a lot. Interesting to see that you were inspired by winter, I actually didn't think of winter until I read the description after I heard the piece. I think it sounds great so far, maybe you could add in some more instruments for the main body of the concerto to get a wider range of tone colours. Possibly use some major keys also in the next movement to contrast the prelude/overture. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much! Well, I wasn't inspired by winter; because I kind of just write and the taste comes afterwards, but I feel a winter kind of feel :)

Yeah, I wrote this when I was thirteen and wrote it first for piano alone; after that I added the rest of the instruments, but wasn't that experienced in panning and creating a main vocal line (maybe getting a bit overwhelmed by the great harmonies men can create!). In the real piece the piano is more in the front and you can hear a lot more of the main body. It sounds kind of weird now, I agree (the piano is another midi than the rest of the instruments).

Yeah, I agree! The next act has a lot of modulations and minor-major switches. The third act (second movement) is a major (mixolydian) piece with only a little twist in the middle and the last movement is a scherzando (before the scherzando I have made an intermezzo; which makes it a 5 act piece).

Again, thank you very much! I appreciate it a lot, I will come back to your comment later on and work on that main body :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
A mixolydian piece? Probably the hardest thing to do is to write good modal music. The easiest thing to do is write a mediocre modal piece. It's hard enough for beginners to rely on 'ionian' and the minor scale for decent harmonic drive and variation-yet remain coherent and interesting. I should now as that's the situation I'm currently in myself. I would hold off on learning the ins and outs of Palestrinian 16th century modal counterpoint. It's all well and good to throw in modal stuff like a phrygian half cadence until then. Focus on mastering common practice harmony, there's a reason this chord wants to resolve in that manner.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know my chords, I'm attending the conservatory next year :) It's not really full mixolydian, it's just a chordprogression that contains a D7 in a otherwise ionian (and aeolian) piece :)

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
A Prelude/Overture to Act 1 of a Piano Concerto? Wtf?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I like this piece. It has a lot of possibilities. I smiled listening to it because it wouldn't sound out of place in the first DOOM game. Fully developed, I can see it being used as the backdrop for a TV movie. If I had the time, and the MIDI score, I'd run it through Cubase and use Miroslav Philharmonik to realise it...if only dynamics weren't so damned difficult to program! (I don't mean static loudness, I mean creschendos and decreschendos).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Look, and THAT's why I uploaded it hahah. I tried to simulate it myself, but I failed miserably haha. If you ever had the time to do such thing or anybody else it would mean the world to me. I made the (de)crescendo's, dynamics and accelerando etc visible in the sheetmusic I made. But I agree that it still must be very difficult to make those dynamics.

And thanks very much for all the compliments, I am very insecure about this piece; so this kinda made my day! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I like this piece. It has a lot of possibilities. I smiled listening to it because it wouldn't sound out of place in the first DOOM game. Fully developed, I can see it being used as the backdrop for a TV movie. If I had the time, and the MIDI score, I'd run it through Cubase and use Miroslav Philharmonik to realise it...if only dynamics weren't so damned difficult to program! (I don't mean static loudness, I mean creschendos and decreschendos).
Oops, forgot to quote. I don't know this forum yet, so I don't know what people get in their inbox and which things they don't :x

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.