Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 13 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15,546 Posts
There are Americans who only favor a literal interpretation of the Constitution, especially when it suits their arguments. Other Americans see the Constitution as a breathing document that needs to recognize the passage of time.
Half the population is too illiterate to read it, and the other half can't be bothered. We can argue all night about whether tax dollars should fund the arts, but it's obvious that most Americans don't care about music that can't survive without funding. They just love to pay too much to go see famous people, but wouldn't give a dollar to save their symphony or jazz orchestra.

·
Registered
15,546 Posts
So we should take their money from them for a purpose they don't value, but we do? I'm sure you didn't mean to say that.
Ken, I'm tired of your BS arguments. Arts funding per capita in America wouldn't buy the citizens a cup of coffee.

On the other hand, Trump giving another hundred billion to the Pentagon? Does everybody want that?

·
Registered
15,546 Posts
Some folks prefer to burn their trash in the backyard and stink up the neighborhood. Does that mean we should eliminate trash pick up from the town budget?

Reactions: Becca

·
Registered
15,546 Posts
The arts funding will be missed by the artists and students that depend on it. And I doubt the opposite is the reason it's be eliminated in the first place. Tens of millions need Medicare and Social Security, but these programs are on the chopping block. There's a more sinister plan at work here. How far are we going to let this administration go?

·
Registered
15,546 Posts
Let's see ... many cities spend upwards of $100M on attracting and keeping sports teams. The last I saw, those teams were definitely not starving for money. Classical music, by comparison, is comparatively cheap.
And after so many years the billionaire team owner will threaten to leave town if he doesn't get a new stadium paid for by the tax dollars of the local citizens.

·
Registered
15,546 Posts
Genoveva, the reason classical music needs subsidies is due to the fact that ticket prices can in no way cover the costs of maintaining a 50 or 80 piece orchestra and management. That should be obvious.

·
Registered
15,546 Posts
Now there is an idea ... why don't arts organizations try the same idea? The New York Philharmonic can threaten to move to Atlantic City if they don't get the Geffen Hall renovation. Or the San Francisco Opera to Las Vegas ... the possibilities are endless :tiphat;
It would be easier to stay in New York and install gambling machines in the lobby!

·
Registered
15,546 Posts
Now that is a great idea. The state can fund arts through the lottery! Then only those who want to pay for it will.
Of course that's the situation already in the states. There is miniscule funding for the arts. But it should be obvious I was joking. I don't agree. Should all the homeowners without children be exempt from paying school taxes if they so choose? The answer is obviously no. So imo, those arguing against public funding for the arts are on the wrong side of this discussion.

·
Registered
15,546 Posts
I'm glad they take "other peoples' money" so I can go to the library. Even if other people spend their time watching football and never go to the library.

If one believes in the common good, I don't see how leaving everything to profit motivated companies and private donations is going to pan out. And of course the citizens need to educate themselves politically if we're going to get our tax dollars worth out of these programs.

·
Registered
15,546 Posts
The philistines in congress would be glad to stamp out all funding for the arts and public broadcasting. And I'm afraid that much of the corporate support is dwindling as well. The lion's share of the profits go to the stockholders.

·
Registered
15,546 Posts
I agree, eljr. Here in Syracuse we've lost both our symphony orchestra and our four decade long yearly jazz festival due to lack of corporate funding which was vital due to almost non existent government support. A major symphony organization can't survive on ticket sales alone.

Reactions: eljr

·
Registered
15,546 Posts
Rochester still has the RPO. I don't know their financial situation. Syracuse now has what they call Symphoria organized by the musicians but it's not like having a full concert season like we had with the former symphony that went bankrupt.

Reactions: eljr

·
Registered
15,546 Posts
Gotta disagree with you on the school taxes, eljr. Now property taxes is another matter. A retired couple on a fixed income who paid off a mortgage and paid taxes for 30 years should be given an exception. Especially when states are offering huge tax breaks to people like Bezos who build distribution centers the size of a golf course and pay no property taxes for 15 years. That's what going on in my county. In fact he built two of them on opposite sides of the Syracuse metro area. And I doubt he'll be funding the local arts scene with his tax savings.

1 - 13 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.