Classical Music Forum banner
461 - 467 of 467 Posts

·
Registered
15,687 Posts
I agree, eljr. Here in Syracuse we've lost both our symphony orchestra and our four decade long yearly jazz festival due to lack of corporate funding which was vital due to almost non existent government support. A major symphony organization can't survive on ticket sales alone.

Reactions: eljr

·
Premium Member
7,462 Posts
I agree, eljr. Here in Syracuse we've lost both our symphony orchestra and our four decade long yearly jazz festival due to lack of corporate funding which was vital due to almost non existent government support. A major symphony organization can't survive on ticket sales alone.
So sorry for your loss.

Does Rochester maintain an orchestra? I know that is a small bastion of reason and enlightenment between Albany and Cleveland.

·
Registered
15,687 Posts
Rochester still has the RPO. I don't know their financial situation. Syracuse now has what they call Symphoria organized by the musicians but it's not like having a full concert season like we had with the former symphony that went bankrupt.

Reactions: eljr

·
Registered
132 Posts
the counties political power has shifted dramatically toward regressive policies since the 80's, I anticipate this accelerating after 22 and 24.

I would look for anything associated with education, academia, the arts or culture to be undermined, left unfunded or cut.
If they could, they would literally blow up anything associated with art, progress or education as al-Qaida did to the ancient unreplaceable monuments in Iraq.

Dark days are upon us my friend, dark dark days.
Dark days indeed, but I believe there will be resistance and reason for hope.

What's been lacking is a vigorous, coordinated effort to promote the priceless value of classical music and include substantial increases for it in campaigns for expanded public funding, particularly funding for the arts.

·
Registered
15,687 Posts
Gotta disagree with you on the school taxes, eljr. Now property taxes is another matter. A retired couple on a fixed income who paid off a mortgage and paid taxes for 30 years should be given an exception. Especially when states are offering huge tax breaks to people like Bezos who build distribution centers the size of a golf course and pay no property taxes for 15 years. That's what going on in my county. In fact he built two of them on opposite sides of the Syracuse metro area. And I doubt he'll be funding the local arts scene with his tax savings.

461 - 467 of 467 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.