Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm guessing many of us saw the funeral service from Westminster Cathedral live on TV.
What are your thoughts about the choir and organ music performed during the service?

I personally have trouble appreciating the stringent treble sound of a boy's choir, but that's just me. And I half-expected a symphonic orchestra being present for a full requiem mass, but I guess that shows my unfamiliarity with the particular setting of an Anglican service.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I looked up the program for the funeral and indeed the first royal funeral I have seen without Purcell's Queen Mary music and no Canzona for the most solemn portion.
A lot of modern stuff like Vaughan Williams and Maxwell Davies

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Did anybody else spot V.William's Romanza from the 5th Symphony pre-service? One of my all time fave pieces by VW and deeply moving for me. I held up until the end when the lone bagpiper walked slowly away and the sound diminished. I thought the MacMillam piece was effective too, anyone know if that was a commission or an existing piece?

·
Registered
364 Posts
I can see that Davies would be regarded as modern, but Vaughan Williams?
Sure in a music tradition where music made in the 15,16,1700's is still popular ,yes Williams born 1872 died 1958 ,yes that is very modern.
I was also addressing there being no Purcell ,the royal funeral staple and Purcell was late 17th century so yes Vaughan Williams is modern.
Bartok is considered modern and he died I think in 1945.

I would call any composer born after 1870 and died after WWI modern
You may talking about more post modern

·
Registered
364 Posts
"modern stuff like Vaughan Williams" :ROFLMAO:

Vaughan Williams died in 1958. I suspect that the most recent of his music would be over 70 years old.
Yea ,died in 1958 ,yea I'd call that pretty modern for classical music ,Bach died in 1750,Mozart in 1791 and Beethoven in 1827.I'dc call dying in 1958 modern for sure.

Like I said my favorite modern composer is Bela Bartok,died 1945

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Any work composed after or near or around world war one is modern I would say,living composers are post modern.
I'd say that the last 40 years is modern, at a stretch. Vaughan William's music isn't even modernist, let alone modern.

Reactions: pianozach

·
Registered
109 Posts
I looked up the program for the funeral and indeed the first royal funeral I have seen without Purcell's Queen Mary music and no Canzona for the most solemn portion.
A lot of modern stuff like Vaughan Williams and Maxwell Davies
Henry Purcell's Music for the Funeral of Queen Mary (listing Z.860) is one of my favorite funeral pieces, not that I have a lot of favorites. And I didn't even see the service for Queen Elizabeth. 🤷‍♂️

·
Premium Member
7,443 Posts
Anyone have a link to the listing of music performed?
I saw one mentioned on Instagram but was busy at the time. Now I can't find it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'd say that the last 40 years is modern, at a stretch. Vaughan William's music isn't even modernist, let alone modern.
I respect your opinion ,I'd say anything from Ravel and Debussy forward is modern in my opinion.Classical music is an ancient tradition,anything post WWI is modern.

I'd agree Vaughan Williams would be old time in a Jazz/Blues/Rock context

1 - 20 of 30 Posts