Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To whom it may concern,

First of all as a new member to the site I would like to thank the admin staff for their hard work in keeping the site running smoothly. :tiphat:

I do not frequent many forums online as I simply do not have the time. However I am aware that it is possible to be notified when another users quotes your post. I believe this is typically done through the control panel in a similar fashion to the way you are currently notified about likes etc.

I have no idea how a forum is run, what software is required and if it would be possible for you to add this feature using Talk Classical's current software but I thought I would ask.

Would quote notification be possible? If not now perhaps in the future? Thank you for your time.

Kind Regards,

Fox

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Taggart I appreciate you taking the time to reply and I apologize for wasting your time. I did search before posting to see if this had already been asked but the search results did not show the threads you linked in your post. It is unfortunate but if it cannot be done that's that end of story.

Regards,

Fox

Reactions: Ingélou

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh right thanks for the tip I'll try that in future. Although I am not sure how one would tweak Google I am less "tech-savvy" than most people my age. *hangs head in shame* :eek:

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
Add "site:talkclassicalcom" to your search. That means google only looks on this site. So I searched for :

post notification site:talkclassical.com

to get the results above. Not to worry, it's not one many people know.

Reactions: Fox

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah again you have my thanks Taggart; I didn't know that I know nothing of how search engines work. :eek:

Reactions: Taggart

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
This feature would make a lot of sense for improving discussion flow. I have no idea how to currently turn it on.

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
This is perhaps the factor that most limits interaction and overall utility on this otherwise excellent site. I'm a long time member of another site that uses vBulletin, and has this function where you receive notifications for both, "Likes", and, "Quotes". Not sure I understand why it can't be dome here too.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
This is perhaps the factor that most limits interaction and overall utility on this otherwise excellent site. I'm a long time member of another site that uses vBulletin, and has this function where you receive notifications for both, "Likes", and, "Quotes". Not sure I understand why it can't be dome here too.
Does that site use the same version of vBulletin? It could be a feature that the version here does not have.

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Does that site use the same version of vBulletin? It could be a feature that the version here does not have.
I just checked and discovered the other forum changed from vBulletin to XenForo in 2015. I hadn't noticed the change. I've been a member there since 2007, and always had notifications when one of my posts was quoted.

I'll get my coat. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
Don't worry, it happens.

I think the earlier versions of vBulletin used an add-on to get quote notifications. The version we use is old but reliable. We don't want to be like Facebook and keep changing the user interface and annoying people in a search for better "features".

As the moderators have said before, the only way to keep in touch with a thread is to subscribe to it. That's the best we can do with the current system.

Reactions: Rogerx
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.