Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Thanks that's interesting. Thanks for taking your time to share it.

There are many people who know so much about the Symphonies in here. This will give them a new method. As a pianist, I've said to myself I would eventually get around to them, but I haven't yet.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
I don't know where you are in experiencing different notes over chords, but you could compose a simple nursery song, at the level of Mary Had a Little Lamb.

If you're beyond that, then you can learn so much from pop song sheets. A song like More (from the movie Mondo Cane) is so predictable (sugary sweet). Look at how the melody notes with the underlying chord changes 'move' from beginning to end. Change a chord and see how wrong it sounds.

If you're beyond that, then Chopin Prelude in Em is fairly simple to understand, but it's far more sophisticated than a pop song (and impressive). What a jewel!

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
I'll take note of that.
From my limited experience in composition with no musical background, it's like throwing darts at a dartboard while blindfolded. It can take a while experimenting with random notes until you find one that "feels right".

Kind of makes you respect the great composers more
Yes. I think CM enthusiasts should be continually aware of the harsh conditions under which some of the greatest music has been imagined and crafted. The cold winters and the damp and the harsh summer heat, and the diseases all around, many child deaths, poor nutrition, candle light..

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
^^^^
Inspiring post to me. Thanks. I'm realizing that when I went through his piano sonatas, there was a 'leap', that paradigm shift, starting in the last 6 sonatas. Not as large as LvB's, but whose is?...

Reactions: Ludwig Schon

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
I think this is so helpful as guidance and for saving time, for getting a perspective (and perhaps for avoiding some mistaken first impressions).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts