Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
7,991 Posts
This was the result of our Norma contest in our Talk Classical Most Recommended Opera DVDs thread:

# 31 Norma
Most Recommended Version:

Picked by 2 out of 3 voters (66.6%) among 2 nominated versions out of 15 existing versions
2007(LI) - Carella Giuliano - Gran Teatro del Liceo

Runner-up: picked by 1 out of 3 voters (33.3%)
1974(LI) - Patanè Giuseppe - Teatro Regio di Torino

As you can see, Caballé's Orange performance referenced above made runner-up, but it was a low-vote contest. I love it. It's got bad sound, lots of wind, it's an outdated film, but it has a historical, magical quality in my opinion, it should be watched at least once by every opera lover. I also own the one that won the contest, but don't like it very much.

· Registered
7,991 Posts
It is true that Norma on DVD doesn't have the most successful versions - either not so good modern versions, or technically deficient older versions. But since many like to watch their operas rather than just listen to them, I added here the result of our DVD contest for Norma, taking care of saying that it was a low-vote one, that I don't like the winner, and that the runner-up has lots of technical difficulties. But it's hard to deny that Montserrat Caballé delivers the goods in her Orange DVD.

· Registered
7,991 Posts
Norma is Callas vs. Caballé... it's hard to know which one was better. Let's just say that they were both great.

· Registered
7,991 Posts
I have Norma on CD and mp3. I'd love to watch it, but I have no idea what to chose. I love Maria Callas, but she has no video recording of this opera. I know Montserrat did a wonderful Norma in 1974, but what about the sound quality of an outdoor recording? Edita Gruberova was too old when she did it. About others I don't know anything.
:tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

Edit: Sorry! Before posting I did search for Norma, but I could not find something similar. I later realized, there is a post about Norma. I am focused on DVD only though...
Not only what DG said is correct, but we also have a whole thread with the most recommended DVDs for each of our top 100 operas, including Norma. It can be found as a sticky in the Opera on DVD and Blu-ray subforum.

· Registered
7,991 Posts
Thanks!
I am sorry for starting this post. I just can't decide what Norma DVD is good enough for me. I tried to check before for a posting with a similar title, and the result looked like negative. After posting, I realized there is a relatively similar question even on the same page. I even answered to that post, but I just felt it was about whatever CD/DVD. I've completely forgotten. If anybody is capable, this post may be deleted. I made a mistake!

Edit: Angel, thanks for the video. Great rendition of Casta Diva, but I still miss Callas' Norma. I am so sad she could not leave any filmed Norma, Traviata, Il Barbiere, as she is the best Norma, the best Violeta and the best Rosina ever. And as a bonus, her partners were Gobbi, Corelli, Di Stefano...
In Norma, I also like Monserrat Caballe and Angela Gheorghiu.
Don't worry, Sabrina. No harm done. I have merged the two threads.

· Registered
7,991 Posts
Callas recorded Norma 9 times, the first one in 1950 and the last one in 1965, in various audio media.
There is no complete recording of Norma with Callas in visual media.

· Registered
7,991 Posts
I have ordered the Covent Garden from a discount store a while ago, they haven't shipped it yet, I'm starting to get worried. But in any case, my question is: is the Paris one much better, with a younger voice? Is it imperative to have it once one has the Covent Garden one, for someone like me who likes Callas very much but is not completely crazy about her like... I mean... people like you?;) I mean, I know you'll say that for you, it's imperative to have both, but for me, are they similar enough that I'll be fine with only one?

· Registered
7,991 Posts
Wow, finally a really satisfactory Norma on DVD! I hope I like this performance as much as you did. I'll place it on my wish list (Gergiev's Les Troyens and the new Rusalka are priorities right now, but I've spent too much money recently and I'm trying to pause a bit).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts