Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
559 Posts
The best Norma on DVD?

I have Norma on CD and mp3. I'd love to watch it, but I have no idea what to chose. I love Maria Callas, but she has no video recording of this opera. I know Montserrat did a wonderful Norma in 1974, but what about the sound quality of an outdoor recording? Edita Gruberova was too old when she did it. About others I don't know anything.
:tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

Edit: Sorry! Before posting I did search for Norma, but I could not find something similar. I later realized, there is a post about Norma. I am focused on DVD only though...

· Registered
559 Posts
Not only what DG said is correct, but we also have a whole thread with the most recommended DVDs for each of our top 100 operas, including Norma. It can be found as a sticky in the Opera on DVD and Blu-ray subforum.
Thanks!
I am sorry for starting this post. I just can't decide what Norma DVD is good enough for me. I tried to check before for a posting with a similar title, and the result looked like negative. After posting, I realized there is a relatively similar question even on the same page. I even answered to that post, but I just felt it was about whatever CD/DVD. I've completely forgotten. If anybody is capable, this post may be deleted. I made a mistake!

Edit: Angel, thanks for the video. Great rendition of Casta Diva, but I still miss Callas' Norma. I am so sad she could not leave any filmed Norma, Traviata, Il Barbiere, as she is the best Norma, the best Violeta and the best Rosina ever. And as a bonus, her partners were Gobbi, Corelli, Di Stefano...
In Norma, I also like Monserrat Caballe and Angela Gheorghiu.

· Registered
559 Posts
Have you seen this short snippet of Norma (our Maria) preparing her followers for the day when they will rise up and crush the roman eagle, we are with you priestess Norma!

OMG! Dark Angel, I love you! I had no idea there is a recording with Maria Callas as Norma! And this is even better than the surprise recording from Traviata. Thank you! Thank you!:tiphat:

· Registered
559 Posts
I have some old recordings on DVD: Turandot with Corelli:

And again Corelli:

I love them both in spite of their bad quality video and limited audio. I wonder, if they have/produce anything similar with Maria Callas in a full opera on DVD.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts