1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Premium Member
Haydn, Mozart, Vivaldi, Wagner, Brahms, Schumann
More sad news. Thanks for all the great music sir. R I P

Reactions: Barbebleu

Registered

Amazing song of David's. Jefferson Airplane also recorded a great version. RIP

Registered
For going on years now, I've devoted one guitar -- an Alvarez RD20CU -- to strings permanently tuned to EBDGAD, a tuning which makes it possible to play "Guinnevere", one of the most profoundly beautiful songs of the modern rock era, a song written by David Crosby and the piece to which I turned tonight upon hearing of the song meister's death. The song plays as I type -- plays now for the umpteenth time: track 4 of Side B of the Crosby Stills Nash and Young album titled So Far. This is the limited edition white vinyl 45th Anniversary release (on Atlantic RCV1 18100), a recording so pristine in sound that it invites the musicians right into your listening room to play live. So ... not to be rude, since David Crosby is here, singing and playing, I will step aside.

Registered
Another one gone. Great musician.

Premium Member
Taking into account his history of substance abuse and subsequent bouts of bad health The Croz did mighty well to get as far down the line as he did, but still it's sad news. He could be on his own admission a total jerk too used to getting his own way in his privileged Los Angeles playground but I admired his candour when talking about himself and others and had a neat line in subtle self-deprecation, especially about that awful period in his life when he sank into freebasing hell followed by the misery of his subsequent jail sentence. Apparently when he was being wheeled into the operating theatre to have his new liver plumbed in he sang Amazing Grace at the top of his voice as he wasn't sure that he was going to wake up again.

As David managed to make peace with himself I hope that he also in the end managed to make peace with the various fellow bandmembers he fell out with, especially those he was hitherto close to.

Reactions: Barbebleu

Registered
I was fortunate enough to see him play Edinburgh Playhouse in Sept 1976 with Graham Nash - I can recall Crosby playing Guinnevere to almost complete silence from the audience which after a little pause erupted into rapturous applause - at least thats how I remember it.

RIP

Premium Member
Haydn, Mozart, Vivaldi, Wagner, Brahms, Schumann
All my musical icons are disappearing.
Thanks for all the great music sir. R I P

1 - 12 of 12 Posts